Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Y-Z Posts: Yodeling and Zydeco, part 2

music: No description
Source: duchessa

I like to think that I have an eclectic taste in music, that I am broad-minded.  Hey, I was in college during the 1960s and 70s, man.  But that is so not true. 


My music education pretty much ended in the early 1980s.  Somehow I cannot get beyond Zanadu Xanadu with Olivia Newton John.  Was it the trauma or was it Boy George?


I don’t know, but the last 15 years or more are scarcely dotted with memorable music, except for Whitney Houston and anything Irish music related (of course).

In recent years, I was exposed to something called “Zydeco”.  And I haven’t been the same. 

Can’t help it, my feet want to dance.  I feel the beat and the words—and this is from a person who struggles to clap and sing at the same time.  Maybe I was born down in Louisiana, stolen by pirates and brought up-river to where my folks were buying catfish from a guy down on the levee off the ‘Ssippi. 



What IS it?  It is like gumbo, with every nation tossing a bit of its culture into the pot, adding lots of spice.  And I like it.

Just listen, see what you think.

And that concludes this year's A to Z 2013 Challenge, on a high-note with Yodeling and a dance with Zydeco!  Now, take it away......  

17 comments:

  1. Never was a big fan of Xanadu, quite the mash up as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly so. So many things went wrong in that movie. But ZYDECO...I hope there will be a movie that features this music.

      Delete
  2. You know I love Xanadu, since I did my X post on it. The soundtrack made more money than the movie, I'm sure.

    Congrats of finishing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember your post! I love Gene Kelly; this may have been his last movie.

      Congratulations to all who read this Z post!

      Delete
  3. Zydeco... swamp stomping music for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited New Orleans some years ago and had a great time at a Zydeco club! I loved it. Thanks for bringing back some fun memories. :)

    Great job on the challenge, I've enjoyed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Zydeco....it is SO happy. Great job on the A to Z Susan.
    By the way...had the scare of a lifetime this morning. I tried to pop in to your blog and it said it had been deleted. Glad to see whatever the glitch was has been fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never even heard that word until today at my bay. Watch Xanadu expecting something along the lines of Grease last year, not even close, pretty meh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. I had a hard time understanding any of the words, but the fiddle and accordion players were pretty good. Loved watching the dancers, too. Pretty lively!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love that Zydeco also. My toes are 'a tappin' just thinking about that music. It was part of a Swing Dancing class that I took with my daughter some years ago. It almost killed me, but what fun I had!

    Congratulations, Susan, on completing the challenge. I enjoyed reading all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your take on the A to Z, and also love that you are finishing on a high note. Megathanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was fun! I've enjoyed reading your creative posts Susan. I had a great time A to Z-ing with you. Thanks for everything!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw man. I couldn't get the video to play. But I was so intrigued I went and listened to some Zydecom on YouTube! Totally fun and different. I can definitely see getting up and bopping around to this beat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really does make you want to move your feet. Well done for making it to the end of the challenge, will be enjoying taking my time strolling round posts that I missed. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. To all readers and commentors: Congratulations to all who participated in this 2013 Challenge. And thanks to all who supported the bloggers by reading and commenting.

    Now, it's time to get down to some writing and normalcy. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Susan, I've been away from reading blogs for nearly three weeks because of a minor ailment. Consequently, I've missed most of your A-Z Challenge postings. I remember the first ones that introduced Mediaeval characters and how I got excited about your writing. So I've missed all that. But I hope that in the month of May I can go back and enjoy your amazing creativity. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job with your A to Z efforts!

    Zydeco is fun and I can deal with it in reasonable doses. Good yodeling I can manage okay on occasion while bad yodeling is probably more effective than waterboarding.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!