Saturday, April 6, 2013

E-F Post: Exclusive Fiefdom, part 2


A novel premise swept through the medieval towns throughout King Rufred’s kingdom.  Shock rattled through the populations.

Rufred had declared that a model fiefdom was being established in a portion of his kingdom. “An ideal time to see what can be created…” had been the King’s words.
Let it be known to all healthy persons dwelling in the Kingdom that applications may be made to the King to be relocated in a new Fiefdom

Needed are assortments of:  

Tradesmen, herdsmen, farmers, master builders, master weavers, master bakers, master butchers, master farriers, master iron smiths, and any other ‘masters’ as well as any such apprentices desiring to be trained in same.  

Must be married to strong healthy women capable of bearing children.

Females who are talented seamstresses and cooks are welcome, as are females who are willing to do just about anything to survive. 

ONLY HEALTHY YOUNG INDIVIDUALS need apply.


Post Script:  

Also required are trained knights and squires, as well as masons.
  
A wall will be constructed around the community and guarded by said knights.

This will ensure that any un-desirables will be kept out, and the desirables will be kept in.
  
Thank you very much.

Have a nice day.  


It became known as the first Exclusive Fiefdom, the first gated-community in medieval times. 

22 comments:

  1. Woah....when they say 'gated' they aren't fooling around. I wonder if anyone noticed the 'kept in' part lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One big arse wall, one way to get people back too. Advertising before twitter, who knew haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parchment notice delivered to townships and read aloud--a system pre-twitter.

      Delete
  3. LOL! Snort! The first gated community. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gated community.... kinda a f is for fema camp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somtimes I wish I lived in a gated community....;) lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would be allowed...

      Delete
  6. I just read Manzanita's comment and forgot what I was going to say. Let me just say that I am a HUGE FAN of your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It thrills me have you enjoy my twists and turns, Inger!

      Delete
  7. You know, until I read the part about the women's role it sounded like a good idea was being hatched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History being what it is, women were not valued for the minds in the middle ages.

      Delete
  8. LOL - early gated communities! I'm actually a fan of castles and citadels, and strangely enough of siege battle footage in films. Enjoyed reading the applicants' requirements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I would not have made the first draft.

      Delete
  9. Indeed, most enlightening and reminiscent of modern day Britain. And before I make a total 'castle' of myself, I shall make sure the drawbridge is down. Not fun falling into the moat :)

    Have a lovely weekend, Susan.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moats have a nasty effect on one's disposition.

      Delete
  10. Haha, love this notice! A new gated community, by invitation only.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow---i am glad i didn't live then--i could never catch on to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And all would be fine - unless someone brought a tinsy, winsy case of the plague in with them.
    And I have the huffs a bit that I would not have been welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a feeling that after I was done bearing children they would demand that I flee their Feifdom. I would be Feifless, and forever banned from the first " gated community." If only I'd learned how to sew that apron in home economics class. Very clever Susan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing to learn about this occuring in a different era. Enjoyed that you called it the 1st gated community!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!