Wednesday, March 7, 2012






We have moved into the world of Downton Abbey.  While we are not part of the gentry or the serving staff, we are definitely part of their world.  Maybe I am a baker in the village while my husband runs the newspaper?

Regardless, we are there.  Maggie Smith, the dowager Countess of Grantham, is the bright spark who lights up the sky.  How does she do it?!  She is the absolute Queen of One-Line Zingers. 

All the drama revolves in orbit, anchored by the dignified Maggie Smith who is garbed in the proper clothing, and the most amazing hats.  Her family is hashing through World War 1 and the issues of love. 

When there seems that the circular orbit is heading into a collision, Maggie Smith stops them all with her incredibly timed one line zinger.

From this stern countenance, stiff bearing and gloved-hand, Dame Maggie brings the room up a notch or two with well spoken, no holding back, one line deliverance.

Oh, did we know Dame Maggie Smith had this talent?  Of course, we did.  In “Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows, pt. 2”, Professor Minerva McGonagall voiced a spell that brought the stone guardians of Hogwart’s to life.  Then she giggled, “I have always wanted to use that spell!”  or something to that effect..

How I hope that someday, I as a writer will come up with those one liner zingers.



22 comments:

  1. She's a honey. I've never watched that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PBS has hit it big with this series. You must start with Season 1.

      Delete
  2. She adds so much to every show/movie in which she appears. I love that people have turned off nasty reality (?) shows and have tuned into Downton Abbey. And those hats, I just love those hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you love to visit the costume set there! Those crazy awesome hats!

      Delete
  3. Jan really is infatuated with English shows, obsessed maybe. Although Downtown Abbey is surely a pleasant diversion, I've never gotten past the politics and behavior of the English in Braveheart! LOL "Let's breed the Scots out." Really?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every country has had its time of villainy, and history is a great teacher. This show reveals a time when the era of the 'Great Houses' and class divisions are jolted.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the laughs, she is quite a cookie. Never heard of this show but really want to check it out. Did you ever watch faulty towers? That was a great one too. What do you think? Are people born funny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Cleese in "Fawlty Towers" was hysterically funny. Brilliant. Born funny? Or born brilliant and funny? Yes.

      Delete
  5. Definitely a legend in her own lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dame Maggie Smith gets finer with age.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard of this show, but my husband walked through as I was watching and said, "What are you giggling about?" with a big smile on his face! (Does that mean I haven't been giggling much lately?)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must catch up with this series! It is full of drama, and those moments where Maggie Smith ties it all together.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for introducing me to another zinger. When I saw your title I immediately thought of Dorothy Parker or most of the Mitfords. I was wonderful to have my collection of zingers expanded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Downton Abbey is my current favourite... I wonder if I would enjoy it as much without Maggie Smith. Her talent is suberb. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, we won't have to find out, I hope.

      Delete
  9. Dear Susan,
    I have so enjoyed--delighted in, actually--the two seasons of Downton Abbey. I don't like time to flee by any more but oh, I can hardly wait for the next season!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I actually felt a little depressed when Season 2 ended. "NOOOOO!" But, it ended on a good note, leaving us to wonder what will happen next.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Oh, yes! The costume designs are wonderful, the writing is tight, and the actors are perfect for their roles.

      Delete
  11. She is amazing. I've never watched this show, and I know that the one line zingers mean much more if you do, but still! She's amazing. That's all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be hooked by the series, and want more, more. Maggie Smith is such a talent.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!