Monday, February 6, 2012

Satisfaction

March 2010, courtesy of Bing.com
Mick Jaggers is sixty-eight years old.  Yes, yes he is.  I read it in Sunday’s paper.

Was it so long ago that I listened to him and The Who in my room on the farm?  Can’t get no……can’t get no……can’t get no…Satisfaction…

I was standing at the top of the stairs, listening to my brother’s radio in his room, humming along.  “Satisfaction?”  What the heck does he mean?  I even looked it up in the dictionary to make sure that I knew what he meant. 

State of being satisfied; reaching a point of feeling completeness; satiated

Being all of thirteen or so years old, it occurred to me that the singer should have been satisfied.  I mean, after all, here he was, from England!  England!  And, he had a record that was playing on the radio all the time.  Plus, he and his English  band had been interviewed on television.   The interviewer asked him if he had gotten 'any satisfaction', and Mick said NO. This man, this Mick Jaggers, should have been very happy, very complete.

Years later, when I had learned more about Mick Jaggers and The Who The Rolling Stones, it again occurred to me that these people should have been satisfied.  But, they were not.  Drugs, alcohol, lots of sex, fame, money—they had it all.  One of their band died from an overdose.  Each struggled with addictions of some sort.  Why weren’t they satisfied?


Now, at age 68, Mick Jaggers should be able to have a perspective of his life.  I wonder how he would answer the question:  Am I satisfied?

What do you think?  What do you remember about that era?  Those songs?

18 comments:

  1. I never did care for the Rolling Stones and Mick is starting to look like a mummified monkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick didn't start out with much to work with, just a bigger-than-life persona and performance skills.

      Delete
  2. I think you can be satisfied with certain things, but an overall satisfcation is a difficult thing to find...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satisfaction is something we achieve within, not with the stuff we can grab and hold onto.

      Delete
  3. Mick Jagger is from the Rolling Stones, not The Who. Personally, I've always liked The Who better, but I do enjoy the song Satisfaction.

    Personally, I'm content with my life, but not satisfied. I am still seeking to become the type of person I need to be to find true satisfaction. I don't think anyone can really be satisfied with only the things of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sarah! I remembered it was "Rolling Stones" during the Super Bowl, but was too lazy to get up and correct it.

    I agree--the things of this world get destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember from that era? Ha ha ha, I remember nothing and that is satisfactory to me. Being a teen in the 70's---I need say no more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I was older at the time, I was never much into them. But I think you said it, alcohol and drugs do such a bad number on you that your body and mind can't connect. When both are clear, the satisfaction just seems to sail through. Whaa Hoo

      Delete
  6. Dear Susan,
    I think I may have been in the convent when the Rolling Stones hit big time. I've never really heard any of Mick Jagger's songs or listened to his group. I tend to be Beatles fan or follow the music of the protest era or that of Glenn Miller and Cole Porter and Gershwin. So I'm out of my depth with Jagger.

    But as to satisfaction. I think that I'm still learning what it is and where it is found. Contentment is the word I mostly use to describe how I'm feeling--or not feeling. It is that feeling at the deep center of myself where I know that all is well and I trust that "all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be exceedingly well" (as Julian of Norwich said).

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we could ask the question of any musician who has achieved fame and lived through crazy decisions: Are you satisfied? Content?

      I love the quote; it says it all.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE Mick! ;). This is such a great post. It really got me thinking. I hope he can answer that question well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many bands I like and liked better than the Strolling Bones. It is however amazing that he has survived this long. Like Dee I think I tend toward seeking peace and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strolling Bones...that is excellent. I wonder if he is amazed he has lived this long? He should be.

      Delete
  9. When the Stones, the Who, and the rest of the British Invasion flooded the airwaves I was in junior high and living in Northern Indiana. I can remember many a night hanging out in my bedroom listening to the top 40 station from Chicago and listening to all that great music. It was a great era of music.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music moved from folk songs to Elvis to Beatles in a flash of time. At least that is how it seemed to me!

      Delete
  10. Hmm that's an interesting question. I'd like to think that at least now he'd answer in the affirmative. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can hope, but then he may still be seeking that (elusive) contentment that Dee wrote about above.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!