Saturday, February 18, 2012

The A-to-Z of Everything



My journals are dispersed throughout my house, along with one in my purse for traveling.  In them, I record the great thoughts and images that occur to me.  Okay, then.  Some of them are not so great.  But, lately, I have been filling up the pages with all sorts of possible posts.

You see, the A-to-Z Challenge is coming up.  There has been much activity with signing up at the linked site. 

Last year was my first year blogging and the 2011 A-Z Challenge was incredibly exciting.

There is a freedom is having an excuse to write about anything like, say, de-salinated water.  Or how to make crossbows.  Toothpicks, have you ever wondered about toothpicks??

Yes, this is bacon.


The reason I bring up such peculiar topics is that I recently watched the “A-Z: How It’s Made” afternoon.  Hours and hours of all sorts of things I would never ever think about were explained by a nice man with a pleasing and engaging voice. 
Here are some of the topics:
Automatic transmissions (A) 
Bagpipes (B)         Crossbows (C)       Double-Decker buses (D)          Enchiladas (E)    
 Fiberglass siding (F)    
 Guard rails (G)
Hand-made canes (H)       
Inflatable rafts (I)     
 Jacks (J)      
Ketchup (K)           
 Luxury chocolates (L)   
 Metal fences (M)  
 Needles (N)    
 Outdoor hammocks (O)  
Pontoons (P)         
THERE WAS NO WORD w/Q 
 Racing wheelchairs (R)   
Sticky buns (S)  
Tequila (T) 
 Underground rail systems (U)     
Waterbeds (W) 
THERE WAS NO WORD w/X          
Yeast products (Y)       
THERE WAS NO WORD w/Z
It was clear to see that even the producers of “How It’s Made” struggled with the same dang letters we struggled with in the A-Z 2011 challenge.  Q, X, and Z are obscure in the world of inventors, I guess.

After reading this, you should have some insights into what you can include in you’re A-to-Z posts!

Oh, by the way, did I mention to go to the A-to-Z site by clicking on the highlighted words? 

17 comments:

  1. Already have mine all laid out, nice break for me not to have to come up with something out of the blue, just pick a word and I can go on about it, just like whoopdi friggin' doo..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of journals everywhere. Though I suspect I would often lose the one I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave mine in specific places and each one is distinctive. Also, there are two pens next to each--two working pens.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're excited and have a plan for this year's A to Z Challenge! We are working hard to make it the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-Z blogfest was soul sucking last year. I was so prepared that I got out of my blog routine and did not do due diligence to the other participants. Not doing it this year. This year I'm writing my actual WIP.
    Love the pic of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how that could happen. Last year was strange for me, though, with lots of things happening that April. The blogfest was a nice diversion. I'll be reading your stuff soon.

      Delete
  5. This is interesting Susan, thank you. I am joining in but have not signed up, for the simple reason to keep it a challenge. I need the prompt and the biggest and bestest prompt to me is the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Far from ready, not given the challenge a thought as yet, must do better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot they did that last year. I misssed out last year and don't know if I can do it this year but it might be fun to try anyway. :) Haining a decent eye morning. Noticed it goes nuts in the afternoon and evening. Anyway I thought i would swing by and say hi and thanks for coming to visit. Oh and Chocolate is an absolute should zombies attack. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your A-Zing! I shall be cheering you all on the sidelines!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hop, skip, and jumping around the sign-up list for A-Z, and am delighted to have come across your blog. This will be my first A-Z and I think it will be great fun.

    (I used to love watching "How It's Made" -- enjoyed this post so much!)

    Beth Stilborn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Drat... my attempt to do the signature link thing didn't work.

      Beth Stilborn

      Delete
  10. Hahaha I already decided what to write about for A-Z. For both blogs. Can't wait to start with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, you are all very impressive. I have almost half of mine done. The other half are still just letters. But the ones I DO have done include X, Q, and Z. EEEEEEEEEK



      Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

      Delete
  11. I love this kind of stuff. I'm always curious about stuff.

    I'll link to this post on my Sunday Summary.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!