Sunday, February 12, 2012

Actions and Consequences



We will always face the consequences of our actions.  I firmly believe this, even if it seems that there are some who seem to escape. 

This is not a moral judgment, although I could go in that direction.  No.  This is a simple observation of the Laws of Physics, cause and effect.


You trip over something or miss a step.  You can stumble and maybe catch yourself; if you are all of fifty-one pounds and seven years old, this is a good possibility. 

You can plant your face on the asphalt (I have done this, spectacularly!). If you are said seven year old, chances are you will jump up and keep on going, maybe with a skinned knee.  If you are ME, you will lie there for a while and then roll over to access the damage.

But, the primary point is that the fall-ee will face the consequences of the fall.

So it is that the life-long jogger approaching 70 will most likely be suffering with hip and knee joint problems.  Time for replacement surgery.

So it is that the old rock stars (Mick Jaggers and Steve Tyler) that have danced and contorted their bodies repeatedly probably hurt like heck in the morning when they roll out of their beds.

The current 'street dancers'?  By thirty, they will have hurt every joint they have.


The sunbathers who were bronzed to a fare-the-well back in pre-suntan-in-a-bottle days?  Dermatologists are busy treating skin cancer and unfortunately melanoma.  (Couldn't bring myself to show the sun-related skin diseases.)

To children and young people playing sports:  Think blowing out a joint or tearing a muscle, or even worse by the time one would be considering playing professionally. (I looked for photos on this, and some were beyond gruesome.)

Those heavy metal bands of the 80s?  Metallica?  I wonder if they are wearing hearing aids? 
So, to this current generation who are always on the iPod or whatever with the ear bud thingies:  Think ‘hearing aids’ by age 40. 



To the Tweeters, Texters, and Twitters:  think ‘carpal tunnel surgery’ by late 20s.  (Bloggers know this feeling!)



To the PStation and XBox players:  Think ‘arthritis’ in the thumb joint by the late 30s.










We all pay the consequences, eventually.

19 comments:

  1. I am now "in the consequences of my life" big time. Every day another part of me hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delores and Arleen--my friend Aleve and I are never far apart!

      Delete
  2. Where did you get the picture of my thumb? The curse of repetitive action in my career "choices".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. /I hate to think how many thumbs are like yours and mine!!

      Delete
  3. Now you make me all depressed, I don't want to get old. My thumbs won't take too kindly to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Pat. The alternative to growing old is not good, either.

      Delete
  4. Up on my soap box here. You are right, but it seems all too common at the moment for people to refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. There must be someone (other than themselves) to blame. Yes there are consequences but it is not my fault.
    Climbs down from soap box muttering 'yes it is.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oceangirl and Child--deny it or not, everyone has to take responsibility! Sad, but true.

      Delete
  5. So true. I sewed way too much, and now every time I even look at a sewing machine I remember the pain it caused in my hands. lol I'm so glad I gave up my sewing business. I think it'll be better in the long run--I hope ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will continue to sew lovely dresses for your princesses!

      Delete
  6. Dear Susan,
    A cautionary posting. Every so often, as I'm blogging, I think about whether I might be getting carpal tunnel. It was just a mild thought in my mind. Now you make me wonder.
    What does a person do who wants to blog?

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to blog, we can't stop. I guess we have to develop good ergonomic habits, space out our writing time, etc.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. No one escapes the consequences, ultimately.

      Delete
  8. Then again sometimes there's no figuring people seemingly living the right, healthy lifestyle dying at a young age and others who raised hell and ate all the wrong stuff hanging in there way beyond expectancy. Attitude has a lot to do with how one feels as probably does genetics. I guess I'm paying for something in my past now, but not sure how long I'll be able to afford it.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right! and don't forget those horrendous 8 inch heels that women are wearing...I think walkers by 40?
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great post. I was looking for something like this and you gave me what i wanted to know.

      Skin Cancer Treatment

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!