Friday, February 3, 2012

Sunshine and Her Baby




Our time with our granddaughters, Bright Eyes and Sunshine, gets shorter every year as they march away from us and run to school.

I spent much time with Sunshine when she was still in pre-school, and her sister was in full-day school.  We had three hours together and Sunshine used every minute to tell me about her thoughts on big questions and thoughts.

  She knew all about it.

Solar System?  Ask her anything and she could set me straight.
The Digestive System?  She has that covered.
Fairies?  Oh, yes, there are fairies, Grandma.

Now, Sunshine is in kindergarten, and we have a short hour on alone time, but Sunshine manages to educate my husband and me on anything important (to her).

My youngest daughter will be having a baby in June or July, so there have been a number of discussions about this and travel to Switzerland to see the baby when it comes.  Sunshine has heard it all.

Yesterday, in that short hour between kgt, and regular school dismissals, Sunshine opened her heart and mind to share her wisdom.

“You know, Grandma?” 

No, Sunshine, what?

“When I have a baby, YOU and GRANDPA will be GREAT-grandparents!!” *giggle*  And MY MOMMY will be GRANDMA!”

Yes, sweet baby, we will be.

Then Sunshine made a point here that we call her ‘baby’ because we remember that she once was a baby, and that her mommy was our baby, but she’s a grown-up mommy now, and…..
 “Well.  When I have a baby, you can come and visit, y’know?”

Oh, we’d love that!  Thanks, ba….Sunshine.

“But, you will have to wait a day or two after the baby is born…”

Of course, we will. But why?

“Well, I’ll have to teach my baby a few things.  ???  I’ll have to teach her what to do and what not to do.  And, what to say and what not to say.  Grandma?  Do babies move their mouths when they are just born?”

We were caught short here, and I tried to explain that everything is new to a baby, so they move everything.

“Well, you’ll want to see the baby before she opens her eyes.  Babies look so cute before they open their eyes, all squished up.  Don’t you think so, Grandma?

Before we could formulate an answer, Sunshine moved to a different topic about a bird that she just now saw, “Out there, Grandpa!  See it?”

Such is steel-trap mind of Sunshine.

19 comments:

  1. Susan, I've decided you have to write 'The Book of Sunshine' I just love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so definitely! Sunshine is a source of constant story material.

      Delete
  2. That little piece of sunshine is so precious. I do hope you have her on video...lots and lots of video....she will want to become reaquainted with herself when she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Delores, I don't think I have much recorded at all. Well, That's going to change!

      Delete
  3. Sunshine is such a special, precious girl ;) my boy will start school in a year. That makes me so sad. It's going too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it does fly by. Don't wish away a single moment of this time!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sunshine is true to her pseudonym! Her mommy calls her that regularly.

      Delete
  5. You are so lucky to be part of her life and she is lucky to be part of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! We are blessed all around!

      Delete
  6. Someday Sunshine will read your loving words about her and know what a really special grandma she has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she will remember me and smile, tell stories about me to her babies and grand-babies. That is what we grandmas enjoy.

      Delete
  7. I love this post, and I envy Sunshine her surety. When do we lose it?

    PS: This new comment form can be very difficult. It took me five attempts this time, with all the previous attempts getting stuck in a loop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what happens to change that simplicity of thought and understanding. I know she will have to change to be safe--just wish I could keep her this way a little longer.

      Delete
  8. Dear Susan,
    A touching and tender posting.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine has a favorite doll--one of those soft body dolls without fancy clothes. When all the Barbies have been scrubbed and left to dry, Sunshine cuddles that Baby Sister doll.

      Delete
  9. :-) She'll need a couple days to teach the baby some things.

    I love that.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda makes me wonder what she has heard at home? Where did she get that idea? Sunshine is always coming up with something.

      Delete
  10. Oh how sweet! I know that my mom loves her Grandma time. And I love spending time with my nephew as well. You just never know what is going to come out of their mouths, but you know it will always be honest - the world according to them. So interesting the way their little minds work, the way they process things!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!