Thursday, October 2, 2014

Wednesday Words: Rawhide

Mexico
Source: Texas History
In early dawn hours, Gil stared at his coffee, close to campfire.  It was taking almost all he had to muster to face the day.  Three thousand head of cattle and twenty raw wild drovers…what was I thinking?

When Gil had signed the contract to bring the cattle up the Chisum Trail, subjugating animal and man was never a challenge.  How many trips to Kansas…with all this… he forced himself stop questioning decisions made long ago.

No ranch, no wife, and no progeny, nothing to call mine. This is all I got. Doubt and depression were ongoing companions along the trail.

Wishbone set another pot on the fire. “Those ghost cattle been spookin’ man and beast alike.  Jest plain spooky to scarify*** anyone.  Not sayin’ they getting’ to me, no siree…”

Rowdy dragged in by the fire.  “Boss, big black storm coming from the West.  Gotta get goin, ‘soon as Wishbone gets some decent food on these rusty old tin plates…”  He chuckled as the grizzled cook let out with some seasoned profanity.

Food done, drovers saddled and up, Gil shouted out as he did everyday:  “Head ‘em up. Move ‘em out….”


***scarify:  great liberties taken with this word.  Decided I didn't like its meaning.  To me, it made sense to mean to "scare the daylights out of one".

Brings back memories for me!  It ran from 1959 to 1965, with just about every A-actor, B-actor in Hollywood.  Eric Fleming as Gil Favor and Clint Eastwood as the ramrod Rowdy Yates made for strong leading men.  Eastwood began a great and long career. Eric Fleming drowned in a boating accident at age 41 or thereabouts. Frankie Laine sang the theme song.  Good times.  Good show.

Delores   provides six abstract unrelated words every Wednesday to challenge anyone who wants to throw a lasso around them.  Write anything: poem, prose, fast fiction, short story, etc.  Click on the lovely fall church scene up in the ride sidebar to access her site.  

13 comments:

  1. yeehaw....round 'em up. Another great story Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you watch it, too? Cowboy shows were the main shows at that time period.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes....we watched it too... het 'em up, move 'em out, rawhide.

      Delete
  2. First I've ever heard of that show, never knew that was where Eastwood got his start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and he looks like he is a kid. So young. You must watch an episode.

      Delete
  3. Another WONDERFUL take on the words that Delores give us. I so look forward to seeing the way that you, and so many talented people rise to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wrote an awesome, dark story at Delores' site. Some excellent writing.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Susan
    I would like to be in touch by email. Can you contact me at the email address in my profile. Thanks!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this use of the words! Especially scarify. I always loved Rawhide too, don't think I ever missed an episode but oddly enough now can hardly remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. At our house, everyone stopped and watched Rawhide. But, like you, I can only remember the characters and the theme song.

      Delete
  6. Oh I loved Rawhide funny I never thought I would ever be rounding up cattle myself someday. Great words. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!! Yes, I did not dream of rounding up cattle either. It seemed to be an unpleasant way to live. But then, it was post-Civil War and there were many dis-enfranchised men.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!