Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Close My Eyes

My family, Christmas Day 1958
             
Close my eyes,
Please,
Close them,
Have peaceful dark
For a little while.
Light blinds me
And hurts me,
Forces me to look away.
Dark is velvet and smooth.
Silent and soft,
My head quiets in darkness.
Can you not understand?
The Light! Have you ever gazed into the light
And found pain instead?
Don't you know by now?
Please,
Run your fingers down my brow,
Let my eyes find soft blackness,
Discover a deep rest.

In Memory of my Father, Louis "Bud" Peck
1922-2005 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this was powerful and beautiful. I like how you described the dark. I had never read it described that way before.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Susan, a lovely poem in memory of your father. Grieving is forever, I think. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark is gentle and peaceful. Such a powerful piece in memory of your father. Thank you. I hope you find some ease soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written. I also often prefer the dark. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, my condolences on the loss of your father.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!