Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hit Movies and Possible Titles

It is the end of summer and all the blockbuster movies have been shown.  Not quite blockbusters, but maybe block-chippers.

The movie industry has struggled over the years to create movies that would interest and inspire the public.  There have been some great movies with great titles. 


Gladiator—with Russell Crowe—had a big draw.  The simple title, the historical accurate filming (well, maybe), and the actor made for a blockbuster. 
Ghostbusters—Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson, and Harold Rami—was a unique title with a unique premise and host of SNL hits.  People still watch it, despite all the movies that this hit spawned.


Then there are the awful bombs.  Do you remember The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?  If you don’t, then you are lucky.  How about I Was a Teen-age Werewolf with Michael Landon?  The list can be pretty long.

What about these titles as possible movies?  These are from a brain fog moment:

The Bloody Reign of the Duck Kings
Life and times of the Amoebas in Santa Fe
When Granite Dreams
Going, Going, Gone: Salt Flats Tortoise Memoirs
Cirque du Slugs
Rise and Fall of Gravitational Tendencies
Sex in Lettuce Beds

Okay, this is just plain silly, and I know it.  But recently I heard that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was making a comeback. 

I had to say something.

9 comments:

  1. LOL I don't think I'd ever watch any of those movies. Love Ghostbusters though and Gladiator is really good. Dumb Bill Murray won't make Ghostbusters 3 hmph! And yeah TMNT is coming back, but it's made by Michael Bay so it will suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In general, there are a lot of movies being remade. You'd think after the failure of Total Recall they would learn. Although the remake of Dread looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I heard about the TMNT comeback. I immediately thought of my younger son who was so mad about these guys. Strangely, he wasn't very excited.

    I have yet to figure out why movies are remade. Except of course to massage a director's ego. They are never as good as the original - for many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do the Re-makes have to exist?? They never reach the quality or uniqueness of the original. As I say, I had to say something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,
    Yes, lucky you, it's me, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star! :)
    That's great that those amazing turtles might be making a comeback. My human would like them to do a remake of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"!
    Please don't tell anyone, but I have been approached to play "Lady" in a remake of "Lady and the Tramp". That would be neat, I quite like spaghetti! :)
    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses, Penny xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! This was great :) Gladiator is one of my all time favorites and Ghostbusters is always fun to watch!

    I remember when the Ninja Turtles movie several years ago came out. I was probably the only person in the theatre who was a kid when the turtles were a hit the FIRST time! HA!

    Oh, and if you do write Cirque du Slug, do send me a copy. That title is hilarious!!

    Cheers,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really are scraping the barrel lately with sequel after sequel and remakes. Probably why I hardly see new movies anymore, except to treat Roz every now and then to an animation.

    Oh, your list reminds me of some of the B-rated horror movies I used to watch. Killer Clowns from Outer Space... Franken Hooker... I've seen some real "beauts". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a movie person, but I really enjoyed Gladiator... it's probably one of the few movies that made an impression on me (next to Shawshank Redemption, Man In The Iron Mask and a handful of others...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books win over movies every time for me. Not least because I can put the book down and think about an issue it raises and then go back to it. And why, why, why do they never make a movie that comes close to the books I have loved. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!