Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gazebo to the Rescue

Delores@thefeatherednest


Oh, family reunions…weighed heavily on Ralph’s mind. 

Ralph, wife Denise, and their five rowdy noisy children had driven three solid hours to this central park to meet up with all Denise’s relatives.  Millions and millions of relatives.  Thousands and thousands of children. 

Denise had cooked for a week to prepare for this event.  The kitchen smelled of pickles, onions, salsa, and pepper.  Their car positively reeked of all the food, plus a soiled diaper, boy smells, garlic, and little princess fingernail polish. 

Three hours here for four hours of unadulterated friendliness and sloppy hugs seemed to be unnecessary.  Attach another three hours home and Ralph was all nice-good-fellowed-out. 

After three helpings of pistachio cloud salad, Ralph was done.  Off in the distance on private property was a gazebo.  Oh, blessed gazebo…

Within a few minutes' walk, Ralph collapsed in gazebo’s dark interior.   A few groans and bodily function noises later, Ralph was asleep.   If they want to go home, they will have to find me first… were his last thoughts as dreamland claimed him.

p.s.  I am not certain that Ralph is alone in that gazebo...something pink seems to be there...but I went with Ralph being alone.  

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like he'd be too tired to notice the something pink anyway, I'm with him though, run away haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. They wouldn't have gotten me there in the first place but...yep....run away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would be the one in the gazebo and frank would be chatting it up till the last possible minute--great writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done.

    I'm still worried about ol' Frank, though. :-) Something doesn't feel right to me...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that gazebo sure looks like the perfect spot for a little R&R. *sighs* I don't blame Ralph for succumbing to it's charm and comfort....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reply to all: You obviously have experienced Family Reunions! My father hated them, but Mom made him go. Seeing photos from those days show my dad as a miserable man, eager to get out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan,
    I'm very sorry that my human, Gary, the old guy I so kindly allow to live with me, hasn't been here much lately. That leaves it up to me to comment.
    I once went to a gazebo that is at a friend's house. I discreetly piddled in a corner. Please don't tell anyone :)
    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I have so been in that gazebo. Or at least wished I was! And pistachio cloud salad does that to me, too. You go, Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Ralph. Pistachio cloud salad? Does something with a sublime name like that really exist? Recipe please.
    And yes, family gatherings can be as much torture as sleep deprivation.
    Thank you for this wonderful vignette. Willing suspension of disbelief achieved in full.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that food coma will getcha every time!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!