Monday, June 9, 2014

Running is the only option...


Glued to the television, that’s all I can say about this movie.  I was glued in 1967.

A safari guide ** takes several snotty English men into the African bush to go hunting.  Before the party can proceed any further to kill hapless big game, they must gift the local friendly tribe with some coins.  Beads maybe.  Some yards of cloth.  Whatever.

But, as one could have been seen coming, the lead Colonel Idiot insults the chief, claiming we don’t owe them nothin’ or something equally obnoxious.

Source: Poppcock!

Oh, it goes badly.  So very badly.  The guide was the only white man who treated the chief with respect and had tried to convince the English-I’m-better-than-you Colonel to do what he should do.

Source
 The English men were horribly tortured and killed.  Because the tribe respected the guide, they gave him the privilege of running to safety, with six of the tribe’s best hunters after him.  If he made it to safety at the “fort”, then he lived. And therein lay the adventure.



The guide is played by** actor Cornel de Wilde, the movie is “The Naked Prey”.  Although it did not receive great reviews, this film entertains and Cornel de Wilde did his own running and stunts.



Would you be: the English man (?), the runner, the hunters, or just some person in the fort who opens the door for Cornel de Wilde?

Personally I'd be in the fort.

30 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this film.
    I'd definitely be the guy holding the door at the fort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...And slamming it shut, I imagine.

      Delete
  2. Heard of it but never seen it. I'd be the guy hiding in the fort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think hiding is the better option.

      Delete
  3. I'll be the old lady sitting at home watching it on TV...but thanks for thinking of me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be in the Fort, Delores! I know you and I could do something helpful!

      Delete
  4. I'd stay in the fort, if I had a choice in the matter. I hadn't heard of this one, but it sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornel de Wilde was one of my favorite actors, since his movies showed up on our b/w TV more quickly than the ones that achieved fame.

      Delete
  5. I've always wanted to butler. I'll go with the door and #4.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would be the bird (a vulture seems appropriate) watching from a safe distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would!! You would be the scavenger who helps the circle of life.

      Delete
    2. Oops. I gave myself away there. Thanks for your positive take on it...

      Delete
  7. Theres nothing quite like sharpening ones hunting skills. It pays off big-time having a deadly swing with the hunting knife. So I'll take my chances as the guide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to choice the fort to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fort seems the almost unanimous choice. E.C. is unique in her thinking, which is no surprise.

      Delete
  9. I would never had gone on a safari. However, Cornel deWilde looks like a very handsome man, so I might have been one of those running after him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was handsome and athletic in all his movies. I'd set a trap, to save the running.

      Delete
  10. I'd be in the village making things comfy for the returning hunters, because the fort seems a tad overcrowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fort probably is snug. But still, I think I would be there, maybe cooking.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. Wow this premise sounds intriguing Susan. I may have to see this movie. I'd totally be at the fort LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delores' comment was awesome. I hope you watch the movie.

      Delete
  12. Whew, if that's respect... hahaha I'd be the one at home writing about the tale told (is that an option)? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember this film when it came out. I recall Life magazine did a story about it and I was intrigued all the more. I saw it on TV not too long ago and still enjoyed it.

    I'm definitely opting to be the guy opening the gate, though I was in good enough physical shape to be the runner.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!!! So glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!