Friday, June 6, 2014

Follow the Road

forest paths: none
Source: Mimica
Parker had fought against conformity all his life. When his friends followed a road to the left, Parker turned to the right. Contrary, said his mother, just downright contrary.  Odd boy.  

Roads lead in all directions, he reasoned.  Truthfully, roads led everywhere, up and down, over and under. 

Parker cupped the delicate fire of adventure close to his heart.  He followed a yearning to climb distant peaks and to consider faraway lands. Walking with a rucksack over his shoulder, he set out.


In this solitude, Parker recognized how fragile, how brief time was.  So many people with such different lives walked their own roads with their own rucksacks.  


In time Parker climbed one last peak. Grizzled and gray, he smiled at roads not taken.  Roads caught in a snapshot in time would continue, but he would not.
 

His road had come to an end.

Many thanks to Delores for posting 6 words and a sentence prompt (in bold italics).  Each week this talented writer challenges participants to create prose, poetry, flash fiction, etc. You may hop over to her site by clicking on the yellow flowers on a stream at the right sidebar.

You may also decide to take up this challenge.  Be brave!  



20 comments:

  1. But I'm sure he had an adventurous life to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as he weas smiling at the end....all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One has to do what is the gift given. Exploring was his.

      Delete
  3. Parker sounds like he was a dreamer, my kind of person. And yes, roads go in all directions for a reason :) awesome job Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dreamer and a wanderer--good combination.

      Delete
  4. The many roads he must have seen had to be quite the life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to imagine to us who move around only by car.

      Delete
  5. Always another road to be explored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new road every day...I envy him for his spirit.

      Delete
  6. Dear Susan, I am always amazed at the stories you craft to fit the sentence prompt. Your creativity seems so deep and wide--like an ocean. I've never gone to Dolores' blog and prompt because I really don't have the spontaneous creativity that's needed. But maybe one day I'll get brave and try it! In the meantime, I'll just keep being awed by what you do. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having read your books and writing, I would say you are a word-crafter.

      Delete
  7. A beautiful take on the words. I found myself melancholy and then realised it was my regrets and not his I was feeling.
    I love that he found his path (and paths) early and stuck to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wanderer with a willingness to venture out must be an amazing person to know.

      Delete
  8. The road metaphor still holds a lot of power when it's used in a well-crafted story. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker looked back with a smile--really that is the happiest part of all.

      Delete
  9. Oh, this is REALLY good. I like Parker taking the road less travelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker made me think about the roads I did not take, but without regret.

      Delete
  10. This is so well written, and heart wrenching in a very bittersweet way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following one's dreams would be hard for the parents, I think. Wondering if he would ever come home, where is he?...

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!