Thursday, August 15, 2013

Keep moving, Sheila!

Sand Dunes
Source
Staring into the light was the onset of despair.  Rolling dunes as far as could be seen robbed her of balance and Sheila fell, tumbling and rolling hard.  Get up, I must keep moving, she muttered as she stumbled to an outcropping of rounded stones and palm trees. 

Sunstroke was a distinct possibility in this heat, driving her to find rest in the shade.  

She grasped the nearest beverage and swigged back the green slime, thinking of it as a tropical treat.  Sheila choked and spit it out.

Virgin Mojitos
Source

Mojito?  Are you kidding me?  Bring me a Margarita!  

Sheila looked around the luxury resort and its exotic décor, with its handsome waiters.  That’s it—I’m catching the next flight outta Yuma!  

She did not know but there were no flights that day or any other.


Yuma Arizona Hotels
Source

No disrespect is meant to Yuma, AZ.  Yuma is set among beautiful scenery.  When we drove through Yuma recently, it was 112 degrees F.  

14 comments:

  1. haha I'd say outta here to at that heat level

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in that heat. Palm Springs nearly got me--heat stroke is very nasty.

      Delete
  2. I have had days like Sheila, particularly this July when the heat was relentless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to survive such is to stay inside, preferably with the A/C cranked up.

      Delete
  3. Ew...green slime in a glass. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This photo was perfect. Glad you liked the way your words were used.

      Delete
  4. Dear Susan, that mind of yours is so intriguing. The creativity that grows there could be studied by scientists and bottled for the rest of us!!!! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice compliment!! I don't know what the scientists would discover...kinda scary.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Heat like that saps my mind and my energy. Loved your take on the words of the puzzle queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once, I was nearly wiped out in Palm Springs. Heat was 118 deg. and I was walking two short blocks.
      Delores is amazing in her word choices.

      Delete
  6. Living in a tropical country I'm used to heat. But heat with good cool wind.

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool wind makes all the difference!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!