Wednesday, August 14, 2013

California makes another step for education.
Flag of California
Wikipedia, God bless 'em
California likes to think of itself as ahead of the rest of the nation.  There is much pride when this is proclaimed at different life-changing events.

Today California’s Governor Jerry Brown signed an unusual piece of legislation:

"California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a controversial bill into law Monday afternoon allowing the state's transgender school students to choose which bathrooms they use and whether they participate in boy or girl sports."


Edmund G Brown Jr.jpg
Gov. Jerry Brown

More can be read about this topic; click on the caption above.


As a parent, grandparent, and retired teacher, I see nothing but trouble ahead for this new allowance.  It troubles me the events that may come to pass, the children who may be hurt, by this legislation. 

I have taught students for whom this was a struggle.  There was never a good solution, and I suspect this is not the solution. 


Any ideas out there?  I'd sure love to hear something...


13 comments:

  1. I don't know if there is really any easy way around it. But yeah this isn't a very well worked solution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think the how-to-implement-this was thought out at all.

      Delete
  2. No, I can see trouble arising from this....I don't have any useful ideas though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor can I. My imagination sees too many possibilities.

      Delete
  3. Susan
    I don't know..... today I'm fresh out of ideas. But I caught some fringe news.... don't know where though..... that donor sperm males (not whales, ha) could choose to have a place in the child's life. I didn't know there were that many donor births but if there is, it's a good thing when the father opts to be a part of the child's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe children need to know what kind of man their father is.

      Delete
  4. I am a progressive person living in a blue state, California, but in a red county, Kern, and last night on the local news they did this poll: vote yes if you like this new law, no if you don't. I think it got like 5% yes, 95% no. So I can just imagine, if a brave transgender child were to choose to go a way that exposed him/her as transgender, the bullying that would take place. I have read the book Middlesex, I have some idea of what these children go through, but of course, no answers, or even thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No solution comes to my mind either.

      Delete
  5. No, ideas, but yes, California (where I live) sure is the state to try just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boys and girls in the same locker room - always a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't see that this will change things. I think the bullying will continue.
    Neither can I see a solution. Which is sad and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I don't think there is a good answer to this and people (children) will continue to be hurt and bullied no matter what they do.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!