Thursday, May 24, 2012

PhotoPrompt: The Birth Plaque

From Elephant's Child
Billy Jim and Esther Sue had saved all their lives for this trip, and by golly, they would see as much of this street art place in Australia as they could.

The bus tour gave them 45 minutes to roam about this park in the middle of Canberra called “Garema” Place.

“Hell, Esther, if I’da wanted to look at weird metal sheep sitting on a bench, I’da made one at home,” Billy Jim stood with his big belly balanced by hands on hips.  “Mighty dumb, if ya ask me.”

‘Glad I didn’t ask.’  Esther Sue mentally responded.  She came to a lonely plaque on the sidewalk.  As she read it silently, a tear slid down her cheek.  ‘Well, at least you rejoiced when it came, Linette Bone.’

Billy Jim hollered, “Time to git back on the bus.  Git on over here, woman!”

Esther sighed, looking one last time at the plaque.  ‘Hope you were loved, ….’  Then she joined Billy on the bus.

16 comments:

  1. I had so many thoughts going in so many different directions after I read this. Very nice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plaque left me with so many questions. I wondered how other tourists viewed it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. EC made such an awesome choice with this plaque.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful as usual. I love the way you painted this picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered how many people stop and look at that plaque. It is so humble, yet thought provoking.

      Delete
  4. LMAO Git on over here woman!..that is funny indeed. Nice mix of emotion along with humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved EC's choice of PhotoPrompt--really unusual. Gave a lot of room for writing.

      Delete
  5. ... lovely piece, mixture of sadness and joy... I wonder what became of the mother and baby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So do I! That story begs telling, doesn't it.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Someday, I would love to see this plaque. So many options built up in my head. There is more to this plaque's story, I know it.

      Delete
  7. What an amazing find! Thoughts went all over the place. You amazed me with how deftly you wove the rawness of both stories, Billy so clueless and gruff; Esther's silent suffering and empathy with someone she never met.

    Great take on the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we see is only the plaque. What the plaque sees is totally different.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And serendipity is at work. Last time I was in town - the day I found this plaque I had been chatting to a tourist on a bus tour, and just had to point it out to him. He basically scratched his head and wandered off, while I stood and wondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no coincidences--just serendipity and divine appointment. I wonder what that tourist was thinking after you pointed the plaque out to him? This was a great photo choice, EC. Inspired choice!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!