Wednesday, January 7, 2015

1968: Take Me Away!

In Russia?
1968…was an important year in my life for many years, one of which will make you gasp, hopefully.

One girl in my junior high school English class brought a National Enquirer-like paper to school.  Our circle of girls encircled her as she read aloud:  “UFOs need young women!”  That’s what we are!

Apparently, alien planets desperately needed healthy human teen-age girls/women with which to reproduce, replenishing their depleted planet.  The first requirement?  These breed stock must be healthy, with no flaws. The second requirement?  These healthy perfect females must stand in an open area north of any dwelling at ten a.m. on a certain day.

Did I want to do that?  Heck, yes.  Anything to escape a male-dominated farm life of repeated drudgery!

Flawless?  I was a little weak on the one, being near-sited.  BUT the eye doctor said that this was probably due to the excessive amount of reading I did, and this would clear up when I reached the extent of my growth.

To prepare, I ceased heavy reading and ditched the glasses for a week. The night before the transporting I showered thoroughly, put my hair in rollers (so I would look like Mary Tyler Moore), and slept lightly.

Ten a.m. found me pacing eagerly in the wide open driveway and pasture. Here I am!...Please take me!...I waited over an hour, scanning the clear sky.  Nothing.

Why did I do this??

Escape has already been mentioned.  Another reason was I was darn curious about sex.  In a rural environment, birth control was virtually impossible to obtain, especially for an unmarried woman.  Getting pregnant by an aggressive teen age boy would be a certain lock in farm life.

So…I continued to think Here I am? Until my college years.  End of this post.



15 comments:

  1. It is time to tell you, Susan. You were taken and have been living in a parallel universe all these years. So, is it better than the farm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not exactly a parallel universe...while it would be wonderful to go back to my own farm now, back in my youth it was a different story.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There were many sitings over Canada at that time period.

      Delete
  3. You know they wipe your mind when they bring you back right? You may have got your wish lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I got to keep the good parts of my brain.

      Delete
  4. I'll enjoy seeing how college changed your outlook, and especially furthered your education. What was the big letdown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letdown was the lack of adventure on the farm. Star Trek captured that part of me, and I longed to see the world and beyond.
      College is another story.

      Delete
  5. I am pretty certain that I would have been out there too. And worse, when I wasn't taken away I would have KNOWN it was all my fault. Not perfect enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered as well if the UFO never appeared because they already knew about my eyesight. Oh well..

      Delete
  6. It's funny the way we think when we're young, isn't it? It's semi-alarming when we have teens of our own to remember such stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Their struggles are just a bit different than ours were. Perhaps that is why those stories emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a let down to be waiting, waiting, waiting; finally having to accept no one was coming for you. Perhaps "they" saw you would be better off here.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!