Thursday, January 8, 2015

Wednesday Words: It is never too late...

Kazuko Renees

Delores  challenges Wednesday Word participants with a variety of words or a phrase to write a poem, prose, or fiction each week.  This week, Delores provided us with this quote:


"It is never too late to be what you might have been."  by George Eliot

As it happens, my wonderfully crazy Aunt Vada had just sent me this from her wealth of wild emails. I thought, "Well, what the heck..."

So I am providing this from an anonymous writer, since it does address this quote in some way:

Yesterday my daughter e-mailed me again, asking why I didn't do something
useful with my time.  "Like sitting around the pool and drinking wine is not a good thing?" I asked.

Talking about my "doing-something-useful" seems to be her favorite topic of conversation. She was "only thinking of me", she said and suggested that I go down to the Senior Center and hang out with the guys.

I did this and when I got home last night, I decided to play a prank on her.
I e-mailed her and told her that I had joined a Parachute Club.

She replied, "Are you nuts? You are 78 years old and now you're going to start jumping out of airplanes?"

I told her that I even got a Membership Card and e-mailed a copy to her.

She immediately telephoned me and yelled, "Good grief, Mom, where are your glasses?! This is a Membership to a Prostitute Club, not a Parachute Club!!"
  
"Oh man, I'm in trouble again," I said, "I really don't know what to do. I signed up for five jumps a week!!"

The line went quiet and her friend picked up the phone and said that my daughter had fainted.

Life as a Senior Citizen is not getting any easier, but sometimes it can be fun.


Please note that I did not write this, but I wish that I had.

This quote was provided by Delores at Under the Porch Light .  Words, phrases, photos--Delores challenges all.  Please click on the fall church in the right side bar to access her site and visit some other participants. 




18 comments:

  1. A different kind of jump than what I was expecting

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha might be safer to jump out of the airplane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spending your old age driving your kids insane sounds like a great idea to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am already starting that, just getting in some practice before I finish this decade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big, big smiles. There is life in the old girl yet. A lot of life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such audacity and creativity does not disappear with age...you go, girl.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The daughter did not know her mother very well.

      Delete
  7. This is brilliant. I needed a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read Aunt Vada's emails, I know I am in for something good.

      Delete
  8. Nice way to use the words, I like it.
    I sometimes still think about skydiving or abseiling, or running a coffee bar inside a secondhand bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would enjoy working in a library, with a coffee shop next door.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the visit, Susan, always lovely to hear from you, and loved the post, sort of thing I'd do, though in my case problems are often due to my increasing deafness :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the increasing deafness. I know, as active as you are with reading and writing, that must be frustrating.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!