Friday, January 30, 2015

So much stuff, So little time

Source
As we move into our dotage, I am culling through boxes.  There are three categories:  GoodWill, Keep, and Good-Grief-Throw-Away.  The garage has yet to feel my wrath, but it has been warned of its place on the list.

My son is moving from New York/New Jersey to Chicago, IL.  John is in his 30s and has accumulated an amazing collection of stuff.

He moved to Illinois 2004, went to graduate school, and then moved the NYC where he has worked as an entomologist (insect expert),a consulting scientist for a major pest company. Now John has been hired by another company based in Chicago.

For most of January, he has been sorting through the boxes left unopened from his last move and the one before that.  The findings have amazed, amused, and left him saying “What was I thinking??”

Third grade math and reading books from Ireland?  Old computer games that used 3.25 floppy discs?  Socks, worn out?  Since New York and much of the Northeast coast are now being hit with a “Nor’easter” storm, he has time to continue his searching while being snowed in.

I mentioned to him that I still had the three Irish milking stools that I have kept for thirty (30) years for my three grown children. Would he like me to send one to Chicago, he burst out laughing.

“You still have those?  Really? No, I don't want one...”  So I won’t be sending them to Chicago.

What would you do with these?  What should I do with them?  Any ideas?

 
What is their value $?  I have no idea...

p.s. these stools are about 70 years old. We discovered them buried under debris in our tool yard, when we lived in Ireland and owned a hotel.

28 comments:

  1. Like much of the stuff I've hung onto, they are a treasure, but.....whose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not check on line to see if you have an online auction site near you?

      Delete
    2. You mentioned doing that before, for your own treasures. I will consider that.

      Delete
  2. I would absolutely love them and keep them. Can you use them for side tables. This a bit of history that needs to speak. By cutting three circular pieces the size of the legs' circumference you could make a tall shelf by stacking them. That surely would find a use. I just love history and the items that have stories.

    If they HAVE to leave, place them on ebay so you may get part of their value back. Same for the books. At least you would receive some rent of the keeping of the pieces.

    I would absolutely be honored to own a piece of history like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use them for footstools and one by my desk to hold my dictionaries.

      Delete
  3. lol games of those big discs? Not sure anything can play them now. I guess we all have a few outdated things we find when we move.

    I'd probably see how much I could get for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old video game discs...I wonder if there would be a market for them.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Our collections sometimes make no sense at all.

      Delete
  5. I have a wonderful little milking stool, though not from Ireland. The operative word is "have". I hope some grandchild takes it away eventually. I have another one we sit on to lay the fire in the woodburner. There, another "have." Some haves don't need to be have beens until there is no place to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. While we currently "have", some day we hope that our gr-kids will value them.

      Very profound:Some haves don't need to be have beens until there is no place to have.

      Delete
  6. We really, really need to do a similar cull. We have waaaaaay too much stuff. I wouldn't surrender those milking stools though. Which is a part of the reason we have too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will hold onto them until my aged being is ready to move on, and my own children suddenly have an "ah-ha" moment, or my gr-kids see them in a different light.

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean. I'm in a throwing out mood myself. So much stuff... As for the stools, I bet if you looked for a similar item online, you might find those that would be willing to take them off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tennis ball: keep, sell, keep, give them to my kids anyone when we die, keep...

      Delete
  8. We too are trying hard to relieve ourselves of STUFF, particularly as we have no one to pass any of it on to. As for those stools... plant stands? If you gave them to a children's home, stools for small kids. They could be painted bright wild colors, something to maybe brighten up a child's life who's been taken out of his/her home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going through stuff to move is so therapeutic, and --like all therapies--painful and frustrating and worthwhile while it's happening. I wouldn't part with the milking stools.
    Such character and history to them. Glad for that Nor'easter to aid in the "therapy" session, when there's not much else to do but ponder "what the heck was I thinking?" and get rid of crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today my son is flying to Chicago. He will stay in a hotel, paid by his new employer. Then he will get to moved him when the movers arrive.
      Journeys are on check mark at a time.

      Delete
  10. I can't imagine what route the emotional traveler would have to journey to answer that question :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those stools!! Maybe your grandson would like one in his room? Could you use them as stands for a pot plant or something? Side tables for a stack of books or coffee cup beside your armchair? lamp table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried them, but the legs are lopsided, so I need to do some work there. I have never tried the lamp, though.

      Delete
  12. Oh I REALLY need to read other comments before I open my mouth. All my suggestions are up there and I see that you do already use them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to so much stuff, so little time, for sure. good luck with it all. I'm working on mine.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does it ever stop? Behind one box is another...

    ReplyDelete
  15. No idea about the stools. I've got so much stuff that seems like it could be useful to someone somewhere but figuring that out is the real puzzle. When you finish your house did you want to come and cull ours?

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time we begin our culling, our children will be taking over. They will throw everything away.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!