Friday, January 9, 2015

1968, part two


The 1968 UFO never showed up, although I waited from 10:00 to 11:30 when it was time to help Mom fix dinner.  Sadly no aliens zoomed in to pick me up.

Fastest US Fighter Jet
Source

Oh, sure.  BUT the next week a dull green fighter jet zipped over my house, clipping the leaves from the top of the maple tree near the house (on the north side!). I saw it, heard it, and felt the sound. 

This had never before happened: a fighter jet in our own skies, from an air base two hundred miles south of St. Louis.  The pilot rotated, dipped over the nearby creek, and disappeared.  What was he chasing?? 

The same girl who had shared the last headline from the National Enquirer sneaked another copy of this respected newspaper, on which the header said “UFOs Seen over Corn Fields”.  We all gasped, knowing darn well that each of us had waited at 10 AM last week, on the north side of our houses.


Were we getting a second chance?  Were the Aliens giving us second look-over before making their decisions?  What next?  What next? 


20 comments:

  1. The fighter jet sure made things all the more believable as those aliens could have been looking for a fight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I loved that movie! But beaming up of a different purpose.

      Delete
  3. I knew there was more to the story! And more yet.....
    I recently came across a newspaper article I clipped in the fifties about an unusual cloud of strontium 90 over my part of Ohio, probably drifted in from a Soviet test. (Paraphrasing the article). I saved it back then so if I died of strontium 90 poisoning, everyone would know why! I think I was thirteen or fourteen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We teens were so wishful and vulnerable then...

      Delete
    2. And, yes. More to come, and come...

      Delete
  4. Or did people think that fighter jet was a UFO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...the Army denied any knowledge of such.

      Delete
  5. So...back out there the next day waiting for the UFO???

    ReplyDelete
  6. What next indeed? You are the mistress of the cliff-hanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to tune in on Monday for the next episode.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the adventure! Monday is another chapter.

      Delete
  8. What next indeed. Were there any mysterious absences/disappearances from your town that year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just moved away from a Navy town. There was a runway about a mile from my house where the pilots did touch and goes, training for landing on aircraft carriers and such. They would buzz over our house so loudly the windows would rattle. The locals called it "the sound of freedom." So anyway, your descriptions are dead on. Eager to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's those little details that'll get ya (standing on the north side), lol!! Totally takes me back to being a young girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are still with us. Imaging being in the UFO ad no WIFI. What will happen to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!