Monday, January 9, 2017

And she's out!

Image result for carnival freedom cruise
Carnival Freedom
When it comes to Christmas, nothing is relaxing or quiet. Between decorating and setting a celebratory meal on the table, noise and activity abounds.  Right?

My husband, his siblings, and their families (including us out-laws) took a cruise Dec. 24 through Dec. 31.  Mom had died February 5th, and this was our first Christmas without her. This cruise was in her honor and memory.

Lots of activity, lots of fun—it was a bonding time.

On December 25th, while walking down some stairs, I tripped and flew forward on the last three steps. Apparently, there was a resounding crackkthudd heard by people close by and my lights went out.  For three black silent minutes, spots flew around with vague voices asking me questions.

A concussion is a serious event.  For the entirety of the trip, my husband was by my side.  I couldn’t remember our room number, so I wrote it on my arm. Eat and sleep was the best entertainment going. Eating was also a problem: nausea

My doctor in Murrieta ran CT Scans, and firmly told me to take two weeks of relative inactivity which I have found very much needed. 


That all said, I’ll be silent in blog time, will try to post when I can.  See you in two weeks.

The recipe below I copied from Carnival chocolate melting cake .  Unfortunately, when copying and pasting direct, the whole thing is in a white highlight, but still readable.

Carnival Cruise Chocolate Melting Cake
http://www.copykat.com/2014/12/12/chocolate-melting-cake/

This is the only thing that tasted good to me, seriously:

Author: Stephanie Manley @CopyKat.com
Recipe Type:Dessert
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4
Prepare this chocolate melting cake, it tastes like the Carnival Cruise version.


Ingredients
  • 6 ounces of butter
  • 6 ounces of baking chocolate (ideally 60% cacao)
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons to butter ramekins
  • powdered sugar for dustiing
Instructions
In a small bowl melt together chocolate and butter in the microwave. Melt for 30 seconds and stir, and repeat until chocolate and butter are melted.

Whisk together eggs and sugar until they are lighter in color and foamy. Add melted chocolate to egg mixture. Stir in vanilla extract, salt, and flour.

Spread butter in ramekins to grease the dishes. Pour batter into dishes. Cover dishes with plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, you can refrigerate these for up to 4 hours. 

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 to 15 minutes. The tops will be firm, but the insides will be melting.

Dust with powdered sugar, and serve with a scoop of ice cream if desired.
This delicious recipe brought to you by Restaurant Recipes – Popular Restaurant Recipes you c



20 comments:

  1. On Christmas Day? I'm sorry! Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you still got to relax on the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not do much else! I found the library and settled there, where it was quiet and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Settle in a quiet and dark place at home and carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am doing. Have a cane nearby if I start to weave around. My daughter Mary gave us another grandson, James Alexander, just five days ago. In Switzerland.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to read this. Take as much care as you can, and time as you need. You are in our hearts.
    And congratulations on the new grandson front. Wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Alexander was two weeks early! Due Jan. 13, but arrived Jan. 2!

      Have to take it easy, which is frustrating.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Susan, I am so sorry to read this. Having had a concussion a few years ago, I know how it feels and the anxiety that it brings on. Follow your doctor's orders, rest and let your husband take care of you. I know that is hard also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I always knew that I was not immortal, I didn't think I would get this kind of reminder.

      Delete
  6. Good grief girl.....take it easy, follow instructions. Good wishes from Ontario headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Delores! Is Ontario as cold as other winters?

      Delete
  7. Feel better soon. Ouch!

    (To get rid of the highlight, when you copy/paste, "paste as plain text". That gets rid of all the formatting. But the con: that gets rid of all the formatting.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I'll try that, but not for a while.

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear you tripped and blacked out. Do the resting thing and feel better soon, I've never had a concussion, but I imagine they're not much fun.
    Hope you really are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concussion with migraines are complex. Will see my neurologist next week.

      Delete
  9. Blah, that sucks indeed. Hopefully the trip was still semi-enjoyable and you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Chocolate dessert was the best part.

      Delete
  10. Susan, that is a real bummer. Rest up and come out of this swinging.
    Ain't fun to wake up on the ground. Last fall my new Aussie puppy (they're a blur with speed in running) side-swiped me and sent me flying and it broke my R. arm. Just when I was going to return to blogging, I couldn't even type.
    That was a nice thing to gather all the sibs together for the Mom. Mother's like their family to be together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! That is one bad fall! Is puppy now dog? Bet he could really take you out now.

      Delete
  11. Oh no!
    I'm so sorry to read this.
    You must do as the Doctor says and rest and recuperate.
    Thinking of you

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to take it all seriously. Other falls left minor scrapes, so when this one happened, I brushed it off. And then I tried to stand up. Now, if I stand, and the curtains start to dance in my vision, I take it seriously.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!