Monday, January 23, 2017

Does anyone ever really understand snow?


Watching the Weather channel is always a shocker. My Mid-west family are having temperatures in the high-50s, for now.  My Swiss family (which includes a new baby boy) have zoomed from -2 all the way up to 28 deg.  Our five-year drought has been ended with days and days of rain, with feet and feet of snow in mountains surrounding us.

My oldest daughter spent a week in Switzerland helping with care of little man Jamie and 4.5 year-old Benjamin.  She did not expect the slam-in-your face snow.

Eskimos have bunches of names for snow.  Mid-westerners have their own descriptions of snow, some of them unrepeatable.  But Switzerland snow?

This is her observation:


Snowflakes on the cuff of my jacket. I've never been anywhere they didn't melt as soon as they made contact. Flakes are the size of 1/4 grain of rice.



 No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 1 person, eyeglasses, hat, closeup and outdoor

Back in sunny California and it's hailing. One impression left from Switzerland was the silence. The snow muffled everything. Right now the house feels like it's being attacked by the storm and the noise is deafening.

Good to have her home.  



17 comments:

  1. I love snow. I'm from Georgia and snow is not something I'm used to. Anytime I've experienced it, it has been magic. Everything stops in the south for snow. It has its own light and its own, muffled sound. I love it. But whew, those temperatures in Switzerland sound COLD!!!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today. You always have such kind words. I'm sorry I haven't been by here in such a long time. Life continues to get in the way of my blog wandering but I need and want to repay visits. Do some lingering.

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jen! I have been gone, due to concussive syndrome. Happened Christmas Day.
      My daughter (from semi-desert) was so amazed by what snow truly is.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. I've never been to Switzerland. What an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lived all over and snow fell differently every place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I heard snow fall I was surprised it made noise! It was an incredible experience for me, having grown up in the tropics, to spend Christmas in northwest Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sunny, hot Queensland here....no snow... but I do have a lot of ice cream in my freezer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that rain... OMG! We just watched it and watched it as the water rose and rose. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The good thing about living in a place that has a winter with ice and snow is that we really, really enjoy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan - snow varies so so much ... and sometimes it sticks, sometimes it slides, sometimes it melts ... but it always goes away in a grey slush! Wonderful descriptions ... and so glad for the little one, then having your daughter back with you is special too ... CA needs some rain ... Spring will be here 'shortly' .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo capture of the snowflakes showing how intricate the designs can be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture with the snowflakes is awesome. My mom's in Ohio and she says it's unseasonably warm for the minute. Glad your daughter made it home safe. :) Congrats on the new baby in the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio has been unusually warm this year. In past years my sister in Columbus had some strong words about their heavy snow.

      Delete
  11. I never knew snow was different here and there. I'd be happy if I never saw it again at my lair, at least up close haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't understand the snow that won't even melt when heated.

    Another baby. What a lucky grandmother you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky g-ma. Now, if my recently married son and wife can produce a baby for me to love, how wonderful would that be!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!