Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sex and Lust

Let's Let Teachers Teach Every Student Based on Needs and Interests
Joy!
Teaching elementary grades was delightful.  When a student conquered what had been a challenge, his joy and confidence filled his face. Every subject moved seamlessly into the next, connecting and connecting and connecting. 

 I loved it.  Well, nearly every moment of it.

An injury to my right elbow took me out of public school.  Long story, painful and sad.

A private Christian school associated with my church asked for help in improving everything. In many ways, it was similar to cleaning out a closet and replacing every single thing with new items.

But that isn't what I discovered head on: Middle School. I taught fifth through eighth English and Science.  Fifth/Sixth comprised 12 students, maybe 10 at times.  Seventh/Eighth was much the same.  Something was wrong, something was different.  What had been so fun now was a struggle, theirs and mine.

What was wrong?  Why?  Then the answer popped up right in front of me: Sex. That was all that seemed to occupy their little lustful minds.

symbolism
When a girl once--and only one time, as her parents were called--wore thong underpants, the boys turned into cartoon figures of lust.  When a boy smiled and kinda flirted, girls giggled and huddled together.

...did you hear what he said?...He likes me...

Since classes were small and never changed, sex moved from one subject to another.

There was absolutely no way to change this.  None.  Never.

Maybe that was the way it was supposed to be.


First day of school
This is what it looks like.

22 comments:

  1. haha the brain sure turns to one thing when those hormones start in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? And this lasts forever.

      Delete
  2. Sadly I think sex and lust are much 'cleaner' things that all the emotions and behaviours which travel with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can see that. Social pollution creeps in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's just where a guy's mind goes at that time of life. All right, from there on out. It does taper off. Some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know when it tapers off, just in case.

      Delete
  5. I teach middle school. It's quite a thing watching people go through that stage of life day after day, year after year. It's sort of like a telenovella playing out right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It tapers off? You could have fooled me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Some talk show once stated that men think about sex every 8 seconds. I don't about that, but it could be.

      Delete
  7. Middle schoolers are a handful normally.
    Have you seen that cartoon of a woman whistling as she walks through the fires of hell? Two devils talk about her. They say that they can't scare her because she taught middle school. (The thing was posted in the teacher's lounge at one middle school.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering how anyone knew what kind of underpants the girl was wearing. Surely there isn't such a thing as underpants checks? Even if overheard during whispered girls conversations, why tell teachers or headmasters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thongs are partially visible if the girl wears low rise jeans. When she sits down, the upper band and strip leading down the butt, forming a T are very visible. Boys walked past her desk all day, just to get a peak.

      Delete
  9. I have friends that are teachers. No one wanted to teach seventh grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know why. Some retired military (served 20 years, about 50) are great middle school teachers.

      Delete
  10. Hormones in sneakers! I love how you expressed this-cartoon imagery with lots of giggles-says it so well!
    I bet you are a wonderful teacher :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved teaching, so loved it! God moved me to teach elsewhere, and it included hormonal driven students. Oh well.

      Delete
  11. You are the best! I don't know what else to say, just the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see your name! But then, I love to see your name, read your posts!

      Delete
  12. That would be a tough age to teach....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing that there might be a bottle of tranquilizers in the staff room. And an espresso machine with dark roast beans to the ready.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!