Monday, June 6, 2016

Praise to Success Rightly Earned

The Meadows
The Meadows in Temecula, CA
Recently we attended our Springs Charter School Gala to honor deserving employees, hand out awards, and most of all, demonstrate where former students had gone, what they had done with their lives. All had either become successful in education, creating businesses, and achieving what had once seemed impossible.

Not succeeding in traditional schools, many students and their parents seek alternatives, with Springs Charter School being one. Having been a traditional teacher in a public school, I can see how this alternate education would have benefited many former students.

It is listed as one of the most successful sixteen charter schools in California.


Springs Charter Schools
A growing successful school option
 One might think I am boasting, but it is merited in this case.  Awesome results.

*********************************************

Okay, you are waiting for my usual twist and surprise ending, so here you go.

Being a people-watcher, I gazed around, amazed. Too many women my age were struggling with weight (more than struggling), to extreme levels, and I mean jiggly bulging fat. And they wore dresses that should not have been worn by anyone with that much flesh stretched over, down, and around.

I viewed them mostly from the back, and I prayed that my butt did not resemble theirs.

AND THEN there were the young women.  Sigh.  A few of them wore girdle-like dresses, and all I could think was Spanx was doing big business tonight. Other attendees were  really skinny women with spray tans, who wore cocktail/nightclub dresses and teetered on stiletto heels.  None of them could possibly sit down or bend over, seriously.  Since I was eye level with their butts, I know this to be a fact.

**********************************

The buffet was truly well done and the decor was lovely.  Kudos to the special people from the school who arranged this.

Great entertainment, I must tell you.  An auctioneer who sold off donated baskets of good stuff garnered amazing amounts to support school programs.  Awesome man, and I know my auctioneers, having spent time at farm auctions. Donated baskets containing really nice stuff were auctioned off, as this man coerced big money with his wit and talent.

**************************************** 

I cut into the perfect prime rib, scooped some sauteed peppers and zucchini.  It was all that one could hope to eat at such an event.  About 15 minutes into the meal, my colon started battling with itself and abdomen swelled up to that of a five month pregnant woman.

The ladies' room was a good number of strides away, and was a "one-seater".  No relief, several women waiting.  I went outside where lovely misting hose provided some relief from noise and odor.

But oh I tell you what.  The five month belly was heading to six as we drove home.  I rolled down the window.  We got home and I raced to our dinky master bathroom.  It and I grew to be fast friends.

So here I am today, having taken much of the day with the battle raging.

What was it?  Heck if I know.

All in all, a memorable night.  A good time was had by all.

25 comments:

  1. Lately, I seem to find more and more foods that do not agree with my body. My sympathies to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is why I only eat the same things over and over, no battles to deal with haha well at least you had a view of many umm different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Having intestinal issues myself, I think I know just what you went through. However, it's sounds like, despite the unwanted bloat, that the evening was a success, oddly dressed women and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely evening, all in all.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan - I hope all has calmed down - how very difficult. Yes as Bish says it sounds like a fun day ... without the food ... take care and now enjoy the summer - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminded me that I am not young.

      Delete
  5. That sounds awful. Sorry you reacted that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I only eat ice cream - I know it agrees with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad as your episode is, sadder still women who do not dress to their body type and weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes. A size 22 should never squeeze into size 16/18!

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh sorry this happened. I can relate as I have such a sensitive stomach I am always worried about this sort of thing.
    Your descriptions of the attendees were interesting to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When one's chair puts one's face at butt level, one has a bird's eye view!

      Delete
  9. Ack. I hope you are much, much better now.
    And, how wonderful that different learning styles/needs can be recognised. And used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charter Schools are under attack, mainly because state funds (normally used by public schools) are being used by Charters. Really this comes from unions who feel threatened.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I'm so sorry. It's terrible when something doesn't agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have do a food elimination diet to see what it was.

      Delete
  11. I hate eating out for that very reason, you just never know how long food has been sitting out.
    "dresses that should never have been worn by anyone with that much flesh", yup. See a lot of that here too and jiggly bellies hanging over jeans so tight they've made one wide butt cheek out of what should be two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to close my eyes when you wrote this. Oh the agony.

      Delete
  12. Oh, Susan, you do make me laugh. Speaking of education, we learn more than we want to know about people when we are eye level with their butts. Seriously, I bet you could write an entire blog post about "22 going on 18 and I'm not talking about age". Sorry about the bowel trouble. That's miserable, especially when you know there are people waiting and you're in that one-seater predicament with the blowouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This make me want to do some serious looking at my wardrobe!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!