Friday, June 17, 2016

W.Words: Can You Help Me? Please?

There's an Orange Apron!

Upon marriage, it is assumed that each partner knows their station in life:  Husband carries the load, seizing opportunities to improve and provide for his family. Wife is released to do everything else, all to cover all bases and support as far as possible and using common sense, her Husband's decisions.

For example, couple heads to Home Depot to purchase stuff for home project.  Husband has written in a notebook: screws, nails, bug killer, and a lot of other items.

When Husband walks into Home Depot, he walks aimlessly looking for tools and plumbing.  Where is that... you know, those screws I wanted...He mutters to Wife, who rolls her eyes to heavens above in supplication.

A customer walks inside at a Home Depot store in Peoria, Illinois.
Husband searching aimlessly
Wife steams inside.  She heads over to a stranger in an orange apron.  She pleads the Orange apron woman, Help me!  Please!  Orange apron woman sees Husband, and recognizes that look of frustration, and hurries to help Him.

Husband is embarrassed---he doesn't need help. The woman in the Orange apron tries to help Husband, but he did not write down the size of the screw or the nail. He could remember those damn sizes! Thank you very much!

Meanwhile, Wife has gone ahead to toss those "other items" into the cart, including several rolls of duct tape.  Finally, Orange apron has sorted Husband out, helping him to figure out the screw and nail situation. Husband is pleased.  Wife is relieved. Orange apron chalks it up to just another Husband, lost until found by Wife.

As they head to check-out, Wife turns to Orange apron and mouths "Thank You!" Apron mouths back, "Good luck!" Both shake their heads in commiseration.

Yes, indeedy, our stations in life are important.

,

This video is the 2014 winner of Video Awards for the Annual Tool Contest. I can see why.

The italicized and underlined words are provided by River, who is providing words for the weekly Wednesday Words challenge!  There are 12 magical words awaiting you, along with a sentence prompt.  River is in charge of June's words, and then another talented blogger will pick up the baton.
Head on over to her site, and read what some have posted in the comment section.  I always post my take on the words at my own site.  Jump into the deep water!  It is summer, after all.

22 comments:

  1. This is fabulous and so, so true! I love how you used the words this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the process of repairs before our house is put on market. This was an episode, repeated so many times.

      Delete
  2. lmao but but, those orange aprons are so scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, maybe. But it makes help easier to find.

      Delete
  3. This is a truth that so many of us recognise. I refuse to go to those shops with him now. Refusing my station in life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not refusing, just rearranging. Station seemed to fit in that place somehow when I was writing about Home Depot.

      Delete
  4. I want to know if she has plans for that duct tape...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and that is the eternal question.

      Delete
  5. HA! So you were following us around in Home Depot, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And behind us, another couple with the wife rolling her eyes.

      Delete
  6. I have gotten better about asking for help in hardware stores. There's no denying it saves time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it does save time, and blood pressure.

      Delete
  7. Whenever my wife absents herself from my hardware meditations, I find her in the paint dept. or outdoors in the garden section --sometimes I need an employee to hack through tougher jungle out there but I always find her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my own hang-out places, where I can find inner peace.

      Delete
  8. Great use of the words! And Oh! How I identify! It's like taking a kid in a toy store. I'd much rather he go slone to HD but he likes the company. I'm much more focused when I'm in a quilt store. Every tool catches his eye and yes! We've gone for screws w.o. him knowing the measurements ---He'll know them when he sees them! Ha!Until he's faced with 16 different sizes each one a hair's breath different than the next.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Oh yes. It is a bit like a toy store. In a quilt store, I call it my happy place.
      We should form a club "Home Depot Wives". We'll meet in the garden section.

      Delete
  9. There's something about asking... I know I have those moments when I want to find something myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband knows his way around Home Depot like I know my way around Home Goods. We are both in our element in these individual stores.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My oldest son can spend some time in a Home Depot. I could too actually, but for different reasons (I like the garden area). I'm always impressed w/how knowledgeable the orange apron folks are... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed as well. If one doesn't know the answer, he finds one who does.
      Garden center, such delight.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!