Wednesday, June 15, 2016

S: is for Sword




At the interesting Faires (Renaissance, Irish, Swap meets, etc.) there will always be a large, four-sided tented display of weapons, knives, King Arthur swords, Lord of the Rings swords, maces, shields….

Nearly all men attending that Faire will at one time or more during the endless hours be found holding something from the booth.  They will be holding the swords, remarking on its balance and heft.  These men will probably buy something when the wives are looking at home-made necklaces and silver rings.


If a man is lucky, his daughter will give this sword (techinally it is some sort of curved knife) to her father, with a chuckle.


Worth a giggle

S if for Sword, altho it really should be some of of curved dagger.


13 comments:

  1. Interesting that you say that the men will probably buy something while the women look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...any spend major $$$ on everything else!

      Delete
  2. None of my daughters ever gave me a curved knife like that and I have little interest in owning a sword. Not sure what I'd do with one if I had it. The craftsmanship of some cutlery items can be pretty amazing though. If I were gifted a fancy jewel-encrusted knife or sword that would be okay, but I wouldn't spend my money on any such item.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cheap, $12. My husband has always had an interest in swords, don't know why.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps his ancestry links back to Braveheart.

      Delete
  3. Good thing I don't have a daughter.
    I do have several swords though. Believe it or not, my wife purchased all of them for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for an easy birthday or Christmas gift!

      Delete
  4. lol I'd probably chop my arm off, so I'd just look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the displays are crazy dangerous. Children are not allowed near the tented area, at least 10 ft. away.

      Delete
  5. I love the filigreed case. I had a similar curved dagger once that I found in a junk shop, the case was black and silver, but not as pretty and I used the dagger, which was blunt, as a letter opener for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A worthwhile purchase I think! I have the Custer dagger in my desk drawer for the same purpose.

      Delete
  6. Have you read M.J. Fifield's blog? She'd be the one in the sword tent. She already has quite the arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look her up...
      This year the weaponry tent was now a cage, a fortified cage. Employees watched shoppers with sharp eyes. We didn't buy anything this year.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!