Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Just how much meat does a BBQ require?

Spectre aka Dementor, found in wikia.com
A part of Harry Potter saga

CostCo is a horror to experience on any week, any day, or any hour.  So much fortitude is required to gird up any given body part when entering its gates of hell.  Once a membership is flashed to an employee, air is sucked straight out of one's lungs and a spectre of doom hovers around anyone with money in pockets or purse.  

Common sense flees, prices seem reasonable, and the hunt begins.

We had a list given to us by his sister:  a specific list for specific number of guests.   Twenty hamburgers,  twenty hot dogs, and six chicken breasts to be halved seemed very reasonable. 

When reaching the meat section, my high I.Q. husband starts figuring and asking, "Does one hamburger really mean these? Where each is larger than my hand? Six pounds--is that enough?  Chicken? Nine pounds?  Can one chicken breast really be halved and be substantial? And, hot dogs?  Surely not the cheap ones, skinny and pathetic.  Let's buy these."

$25 + $25 + $40 + .... It was $175 totaled up for twenty people to eat just grilled meat.  What are our relatives?  Ravenous cannibals, piling plates with nine dollars worth of meat? 

Then John reasoned buns and condiments were necessary.  Throw in a jar of jam, a new purse for Mother's Day, a three-pack Redi-Whip, and some vitamins, our wallets opened as spectres vacuum green bills, and a nice cashier smiled, "Have a good one."

God help us.  We are too old to take this pressure.  When CostCo was Price Club 30 years ago, we called it the One-Hundred Dollar store, enjoyed strolling the aisles.  Now, it is closer to Two-Hundred-Fifty Dollars, and our legs hurt.

Still our car wanders there.  It is an addiction.



Wikipedia
Just a note: our BBQs usually end up with much charred meat.

21 comments:

  1. Costco - Inflation, in both cost and effect (on our stomachs). I had one of those extra large hamburgers last week at my daughter's house. It was way too big and had not much flavor, however, I ate the whole thing - with regret later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tendencies head toward vegetables, fish, and chicken. We have three nephews who are eating machines. Love hamburgers, esp.
      We see inflation in every thing, not just meat.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I swear that I won't go to CostCo anytime soon. My husband loves to go, have the freedom to explore.

      Delete
  3. lol and they are worse than bouncers with those cards. You don't show it and they'll run after you, at least at ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere! No card, you are outta there, unless you get a guest pass. No forgiveness.

      Delete
  4. But it's a good store that pays employees a fair wage and has human working conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate that about the store. Employees enjoy working there, they are nice and helpful.

      Delete
  5. We have Sam's Club here and I'm really glad we no longer have a membership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked Sam's Club more, but our local one closed down some years ago.

      Delete
  6. Ah yes. That's what they count on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas items start appearing in August, so they stay on top of those early planners. Return customers and new ones (young parents with crates of diapers) always troll the rows.

      Delete
  7. We (relatively) recently acquired Cost Co. I find it overwhelming and avoid it like the plague. Himself loves it. And buys HUGE and unmanageable quantities of things we need - but can't use in bulk. We do not need five litres of tomato sauce. And can't store it. Ditto crystalised ginger (which only one of us likes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my problems are claustrophobia (the tall shelving units close me in) and anxiety (it is a driving course test or bumper cars). The noise and odors (migraine sensitivity) also are a factor.

      Delete
  8. I enjoy going there. But then I only go maybe three times a year. To stock up on papergoods, blue cheese, dog food and that wonderful Greek olive oil they have. Oh, and those big boxes of Oatmeal! So then the $250 price tag doesn't seem so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massive dog food bags! I hope you get some help out to your vehicle!

      Delete
  9. We have CostCo here in Australia now, thankfully no where near me, but I wouldn't shop there anyway. I don't like the idea of having to join to be able to shop.
    My older son could eat nine pounds of barbecued meat, but show him a vegetable and see him run a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. $10 per head...$200.00 is very cheap to feed 20 people; so in my reckoning $175.00 is very, very reasonable!

    I'd never buy pre-made hamburger patties...it's far better, and healthier to make your own patties from scratch. At least you know what's in them.

    Feeding the hungry hordes is never cheap, whichever, whatever way you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering meat with someone else bringing salad and veg. tray, I guess it doesn't seem unreasonable. Just a lot of money to shell out in one big shopping trip.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!