Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Humor me for a few minutes. I need someone to listen to me.



My grandmother's award for graduating high school in 1906.  I have seen these in many antique stores for $10. My offspring do not want this to part of their inheritance.  What to do with this?

Humor me for a few minutes.

Take a look around your blogging spot.  Then walk around your kitchen and bathrooms.  Walk through all the other rooms.  Then think: What do I really need from these rooms?  What could be ditched without a thought?

This is a surprising and eye-opening activity.  At least, it was for me.  Why did we buy that?  Why are we keeping a hand imprint of our 40 year old daughter? A clock that stopped working last year? A plate from Mexico? 

Stuff. That's all it all is. Stuff from a trip we scarcely remember and stuff placed there because we had no other spot--why are we holding onto it all?

Strange how 27 years ago we moved to this house when our youngest daughter was eight, middle child Johnny was eleven, and older daughter was changing into a confused fourteen year old.  They grew up, stepped into careers, and moved away. The pool grew silent along with the house.

This leads us to look at communities for us semi-old folks and move.

First we will go to Home Depot for quality boxes, load up bags of stuff for Good Will, and call for a pick-up from Disabled Veterans. Second, we...we..really, I don't know how to take the next step. 

Thanks for humoring me.  I appreciate that.

We have looked at this boulder for 27 years.  My dad called it the "boar's tooth".  


Our orange tree was already 20 years old when we moved here.

Our fireplace, with grandson's toys

Of course, I realize there will be another fireplace, another place 
for the Christmas tree. Oranges can't be replaced, and the 
Boar's Tooth must stay.  There will be photos and sweet
memories.



The sunset we see from over the ocean.
Our Christmas tree 2014

26 comments:

  1. As long as you have the memories, the stuff doesn't matter.
    I've never been big on stuff. Just gathers dust. Or sits in a closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to hit it all. Today I have kicked myself into cleaning the closet.

      Delete
  2. Memories are important, I think.

    Do what feels right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest things that bother me is the history behind some pieces like the one above. My beloved kids don't want it, which is fine. I just want to tell them the stories.

      Delete
  3. I moved into my place 13 years ago and have boxes of stuff I have never opened in the basement. I'm curious to know what is in there that was so precious I had to pack it up, but I've never cared to even look at since. Sadly I am too lazy to go unbox it and find out but one of these days I will.
    The pictures from your home are wonderful. I especially love the toys in front of the fireplace. I'm sure it will be a bittersweet move when you make it but the memories will remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will miss the Boar's Tooth the most. Odd, I know.

      Delete
    2. Photograph it, frame it, take it with you :)

      Delete
  4. I see it all at my mother's house. Why does she keep a lot of it, I have no idea. Just stuff. I'm waaay more of a chucker. If it has no purpose, doesn't make life better or easier in some way, adios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always keep that as your mantra. Chuck. Chuck.

      Delete
  5. A bit at a time, it goes. We don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a bit at a time, I think I can handle it.

      Delete
  6. The best way to get rid of things is to move every 7 years. That way the crap doesn't pile up.

    I try really hard to stay out of Home Goods. Oh, I love that store and it is so hard to walk out without a bag or two of more stuff I don't need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. I thought we would be nomadic, moving every few years. But when we moved here, it was the right spot for all the schools. But we have out-stayed our welcome.

      Delete
  7. I guess I am a bit the same. I did get rid of a lot of stuff a few years ago, but I have still got a lot of stuff. And I carted it from the UK to Canada, from Canada to the States and then back again to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe those boxes should be opened by a friend or neighbor?

      Delete
  8. Our home is bursting at the seams. I blame himself - but that is only a partial truth.
    And the books are always hard for me to relinquish. So very hard. And easy to add to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books! My husband's book cases in his office are stuffed. There might be an explosion if we don't take care of that. I am just as bad.

      Delete
  9. Change can be sad. But the new thing will be exciting once it begins.

    Don't go to Home Depot for boxes. Order them on usedcardboardboxes.com. It's something that's going to get thrown out eventually anyway, so reuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really helpful to know. I have written down the address, and will see what can be done.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you read "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up"? It's all about letting go of "stuff"! She's a little bit whacko I think but it was an entertaining read that keeps going around in my head whispering "Get rid of it! Get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like her little whisper in your head is saying good things. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. The next step is filling the boxes and bags and having them collected of course.
    After that? I'd suggest sitting down together and making a list of preferences for your next home. Don't hurry. Sort out where you'd like to live, what sort of residence you are looking for. A small garden to put another orange tree? In a pot perhaps, on a sunny patio. House or apartment? Upstairs? Downstairs? Nearby facilities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such very good advice! Applicable and immediately usable.

      Delete
  13. Hi Susan - you'll feel easier if you're doing what you feel you need to do - I'm going through that process too ..

    River's got some great ideas ... once everything's clear - you'll be able to see out of the haystack more easily! Keep what appeals and you need ... all the very best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a hard thing for me as well - I have been the keeper of so much of my parent's memorabilia, and it's so hard to let it go. I bought the book Molly recommended, but haven't read it yet. I think I'm afraid to! Somewhere I read that the trick is to pick up each item, hold it, ask yourself, "Does this give me joy?" and if it does, keep it. If it doesn't, out it goes! I've found that useful a few times!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!