Monday, May 23, 2016

The Lark in the Clear Air by Samuel Ferguson


Singing Birds
Lark that sings at dawn
Dear thoughts are in my mind
And my soul soars enchanted,
As I hear the sweet lark sing
In the clear air of the day.

For a tender beaming smile
To my hope has been granted,
and tomorrow she shall hear
all my fond heart would say
.
I shall tell her all my love,
All my soul's adoration;
And I think she will hear me
And will not say me nay.

It is this that fills my soul with its joyous elation,
As I hear the sweet lark sing
In the clear air of the day.



Samuel.Ferguson.jpg
Wikipedia.org
Sir Samuel Ferguson, Born 10 March 1810, Died 9 August 1886
Sir Samuel Ferguson, "Perhaps the most Irish Poet 
in the 19th century, because of his interest in Irish mythology
and early Irish history, he can be seen as a forerunner of 
William Butler Yeats and the other poets
of the Irish Literary Revival."

22 comments:

  1. That was very sweet. Irish poets always had the words to touch our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blarney Stone aside, the Irish have a way with words.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan - beautiful poem and brilliant that you've introduced us to Sir Samuel Ferguson ... I enjoyed this .. "As I hear the sweet lark sing, In the clear air of the day" ... evocative of a quiet life .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quiet life in green meadows is so appealing. I miss green.

      Delete
  3. Can stir much with a little song, or words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well chosen words help the minds the image.

      Delete
  4. Something as simple as a bird can bring great joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now the song birds are looking for love, so their voices are echoing in the trees. Happiness abouds.

      Delete
  5. His work is both beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be "the one who started Irish Literature renaissance" is a tremendous honor.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad that as well as marvelling in those sweet songs he found a way to give them to us as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish man gifted with words, he influenced generations to come.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. That's a sweet poem. I'm not sure if we have Larks in Australia, certainly we don't have many songbirds, most of our bird sounds are raucous. In all my life I've heard only one songbird and that was recently, about six months ago, and never since. our magpies can be musical, but I don't hear them often, mostly they squawk at each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I did not notice them a few years ago, but the last 2 years have been awesome.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing such a lovely poem, and for the tidbit about him at the end (I love history and learning about people).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To see his photo, think about that time period, realize how intuitive his poem was/is--it all overwhelms me.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Maybe the spring we are having is due to good amt. of rain this year.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!