Friday, May 13, 2016

...But I have promises to keep...


What’s the deal with jQuery Deferred objects and Promises?
To keep or not to keep
Promises.  How many promises do you make?  How many do you keep?

Without doubt or hesitation, I know that God keeps His Promises.  Mercy and love, impartial judgment and grace, integrity and unchanging character, compassion to the weak crushed by life, forgiveness and salvation...endless list.

In many blog posts, one will express pain and suffering or depression over losses, or heartbreak.  In the comment section, so many sincere followers give comfort and sympathy.  And then, there is "I'll be praying for you" somewhere in the comments, or "Prayers and blessings".  

But, I wonder are these phrases are actually followed?  Once the words are written and the cursor goes to publish, will these word be acted upon?

This is not a criticism, for I write these words myself, but simply a question.

Robert Frost wrote in "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" this last quatrain, 


The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

But I have promises to keep.  Any type of promise?  Yes, it would seem so.  A promise to bring a salad to a potluck is an easy promise--CostCo.  A promise to meet at 2:00 can vary from 1:55 to 2:05 (we are obsessive about this.) is still an easy promise to keep for most people. My in-laws are lax on this.

But to say "I'll be praying for you" is vague.  Perhaps this sentence should be followed by "I promise". This is one promise that requires commitment and sincerity. It needs to be kept. 


Can you do this?  Do you keep your promises? Why, or why not?


32 comments:

  1. Good point and well taken. Adding a promise makes a difference. I keep those that are within my control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw your title, I immediately thought of Frost's poem. I always liked that poem.
    I try to keep promises and I never tell anyone I'll pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always best to be sincere and follow through.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite poems.

    Being raised on a person's word is his bond, his worth, I've never made promises lightly. Couldn't sleep if I didn't keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep those I make at my sea, but don't make them unless I can keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that in you, Pat. A promise made is a promise kept.

      Delete
  6. I promise myself to promise the dogs certain things and those I may not keep. They know it too, so guilt sets in.

    When I had my rough time last year, I felt the prayers from my blogger friends. From people I don't really, really know. I felt the prayers, it's sounds weird but I did and they helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger, you were surrounded by prayers. You were held in the palm of God.

      Delete
  7. I know if I say I'll pray for someone, I need to do it that very moment or I'll get distracted and forget. I've known people who will promise something lightly and then forget it just as quickly. I don't want to be that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be known as one who does not honor promises is a terrible reputation to have.

      Delete
  8. I do try and keep my promises.
    And, as a non-praying person, I wonder whether the positive thoughts for that person are themselves a form of prayer. Even before the more formal prayer itself?
    I hope someone will tell me. It is a serious question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe hears it, EC, and sends it where it must go.

      Delete
  9. I almost left a comment earlier today, but my heart was too heavy. Laura is going through a rough patch right now. I made a commitment to these girls to get them through. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This I promise, Joanne: I will pray for you and your girls. I promise.

      Delete
  10. I've always loved that verse. Not sure I make promises in the first place. Can't think of any recently anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Frost was a genius, one of the best of American poets.

      Delete
  11. I'm not a praying type of person, so from now on I'm going to think before I write such a thing. I'm more likely to keep someone in my thoughts rather than pray for them. So that's what I'll write instead of "I'll pray for you".
    Promises? I don't make many and I give careful thought as to whether or not I can keep a promise before I make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promises should never be made lightly.

      Delete
  12. I try to keep all my promises, so I am careful of what I say.

    I was taught, many years ago, that those words by Robert Frost were the most beautiful ever written. I still think that is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one poem of Frost's many excellent poems always says many thoughts when I read it--Interpreting it differently.

      Delete
  13. Hi Susan - I try and keep the promises I make that are tangible .. when it comes to comments ... I usually use other words - but remember those blogging friends and think about them ... that suits me ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good action in itself--thinking about friends and keeping them in your mind.

      Delete
  14. I also try to keep my promises, and I've been haunted by the rare exceptions that I haven't. I think we all do what we can in our own way.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Not keeping a promise lingers in my mind.

      Delete
  15. That's why I say something like "keeping you in my thoughts". Or "well wishes". Because those are done in that moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a wise choice, really. But, when a blogger asks for prayer, I always pray for them.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!