Monday, August 4, 2014

Falling is an Art

Waterfall 5: it's a waterfall in the bears habitat in Emmen Zoo
Please go to this site!
Waterfalls: Tangle Falls, a series of short waterfalls in the Rocky Mountains, Canada.
Source: Kevin Tuck at rgbstock.com
God has a way of creating magnificent falls.  These on the left (photographed by Ruben Tiben and Kevin Tuck beside that) are only some of very memorable falls.
But 
the word falls has so many meanings: the one above and now the one below.


Over the years, I have made some spectacular falls, all due to tripping over some unseen object.  Some ended badly with a broken something or other and/or finding myself drifting back to consciousness. 


But this time…it was great, because my granddaughters were there to see it.

My granddaughters and had spent about 45 minutes (by my reckoning) and about 15 by theirs swimming. Not paying attention as I dried off, I stubbed my toe on an uneven piece of concrete and went flying.

At least that is what the girls told me. Flying, Grandma, Flying!!

In reality, I went down hard on my right knee, and remembered to roll not sprawl. So there I was lying on my back, holding up some decking that has been standing at that corner for about 5 years. 

The girls were screaming OH-GRANDMA-ARE-YOU-OKAY?  They really didn't want the moment to end, but finally went to get my husband.
scraped-knee
This looks like my knee at present.

They squealed as grandpa hosed me off, and as the blood streamed down my leg.  They skipped along side me as we made for the bathroom.

THEN they took turns pouring hydrogen peroxide on my knee.  Oh, the bubbles!  How they loved when my scrape bubbled, while I gritted my teeth.

Interest dropped off went it came to bandaging and stuff.







Waterfall: A waterfall.
RWLinder
As falls go, I did quite well on this one.  But these below are far more impressive.


costiql



And then.... this fall is just around the corner.

My mother's hometown




28 comments:

  1. Owie.....you really need to watch where you are putting your feet lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching my feet is becoming more and more important these days.

      Delete
  2. Ouch - that looks painful. At least you know your grandkids don't panic at the sight of blood.
    God made some beautiful waterfalls, didn't He?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting observation. They didn't run away screaming or throwing up.

      Delete
  3. Yikes. Do be careful, my dear. As we get older taking a tumble can be problematic. Hope you're knee isn't too sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knee hurt like the dickens (interesting phrase) for days, and changing the bandage showed infection. Then I bought some bandaid with neosporin within the bandage. Thanks for your concern--it coulda have been worse.

      Delete
  4. Glad you rolled with this one, or you would have had a broken wrist to go with the knee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibilities aren't good ones, are they?

      Delete
  5. Some falls are to be enjoyed. Not those that send grandma rolling (not sprawling). Thank goodness for grandpa's w/water hoses and granddaughters with peroxide. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how they loved pouring the peroxide.

      Delete
  6. Awesome waterfalls indeed, beat those kinds of falls any day. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made too many of these falls, This one had so many possibilities.

      Delete
  7. Oh.
    Your poor battered self. Ruefull recognition here. I have had some spectacular falls of my own. And face plants.
    And I much, much, much prefer the other beauties you showed us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Face plants are the worst.

      Something about a waterfall that is humbling.

      Delete
  8. Those waterfalls are beautiful! So sorry about the scrapes though :/

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been worse, as experience has taught me.

      Delete
  9. Sorry, that was a nasty one.
    Whenever I come a cropper (usually in broad daylight and in full view of everyone) I get up and scuttle off as quickly as I can. I hate to hear giggling ; people do add insult to injury quite easily.
    Even your little ones seem to have viewed you as a bit of a silly billy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that they gave any thought other than "Grandma is getting old."

      Delete
  10. At least the kids had fun with the peroxide. that stuff really stings. Hopefully it is healing up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day it looks better when I change the bandage. The first few were an interesting green.

      Delete
  11. Sorry for you "flying" experience. Rather nasty. Hope you are healing well!

    A couple of weeks ago, I decided to fall off a ladder. I tried to do an artful plunge, but landed on my back. Didn't break anything. But there was no one there to see, so it didn't matter how artfully I fell. Sigh!

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being seen is the best. I have made some falls like that, stood up, looked around, and strode off with dignity intact.

      Delete
  12. Just looking at your boo boo gave me the shivers. Stay vertical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch!! Glad all ended well and nothing was more seriously hurt. And yes I am so so so ready for FALL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you! Fall would be lovely.

      Delete
  14. Hydrogen Peroxide? That's bleach! yowch!!
    I'm glad you're okay and nothing got broken.
    I haven't had many spectacular falls, I'm pretty steady on my feet mostly, but the few I've had stick in the memory.
    I love waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waterfalls take my breath away, but then so does a good, rolling fall on concrete! Hope no falls befall you.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!