Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Day the Lights Went Out

The Bern Museum for Communication.
Source
Visiting Museums can go two directions: horribly dull or wonderful and stimulating.  I have been to both, so this is an area in which I feel qualified.

In Bern, Switzerland, there are many fine museums, including one based on Albert Einstein and his time in Bern.  The one we chose that day, since a two-year old was with us, was the Communication Museum.


This photo of Museum fur Kommunikation is courtesy of TripAdvisor

What made it wonderful was that Benjamin walked along with me, sometimes holding my hand, but always staying with me.  The wheels on the stagecoach were a big hit. And there were so many displays for little guys like him to touch and manipulate.


This photo of Museum fur Kommunikation is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Then we came to a room which posted that the film presentation was out of order.


Oh, well.  This will give the little guy some room to walk around…so I released his hand in the room designed to hold about 50 people.  He was so happy in the dim light.


The light got dimmer, and dimmer until it was total black.  Oh, God!  Help me!

This was taken a few months ago, but the laughter is still the same.

That is when I heard the giggles, squeals, and happy shrieks.  Something brushed by me, giggling.  Then the dim light came on, and I saw the little guy way in front, and he froze. Once the light went out, he took off again, gleefully running in the pitch dark.

It felt like I was in shallow ocean water with a very big fish/shark brushing by me.


Mommy came looking for us just when the light came on, and Benjamin was close at hand.  “Let’s go, buddy.”  He took her hand, leaving me in the dim light as it turned black.  


Photo of Child Eater Fountain (Kindlifresserbrunnen)
Source: One reason no child should run around...the child eater

15 comments:

  1. A lot of kids would have been petrified in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why he felt so comfortable and unafraid in the pitch black is beyond me.

      Delete
  2. Somehow he knew he was safe. That was the gift you gave so he could be free to run and squeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he had a grand time. He could have stayed there much longer.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful story! Trust is a wonderful thing to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! He felt safe to play like that, esp. with me standing at the door, searching blindly for him.

      Delete
  4. lol bet he thought it was a fun game staying just out of reach of you in the dark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was! Just when I thought I had located him, off he took.

      Delete
  5. I bet he was having the time of his life! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He surely was. I wish I had recorded the giggles, etc.

      Delete
  6. How lovely. And a baby giggle is one of the most heart-warming sounds I know. I cannot listen without a smile spreading across my face. And notice that smile is there as I respond to your post.
    Thank you - and him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your comment and all that is conveys. It was a wonderful experience, one that I know you would enjoyed also.

      Delete
  7. Baby giggles are awesome. :) And as for the statue at the end?? There's a lesson giver, lolol oy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never figured out that one. There are many statues in the downtown, and they are all odd.

      Delete
  8. What fun to be with a child who doesn't shriek with fear when the lights go out. Mine were the same, loved the dark, but my grand daughter didn't like the dark at all.
    That statue is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!