Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Band of Pianos and St. Crispin's Day

Source
I loved the nobility and passion of Henry V/Kenneth Branagh’s rousing speech in which he extols his men to remember that battle on St. Crispin’s Day.  Band of Brothers…reminding them how dear this relationship would always be.  Still gives me goosebumps.

What do we hold dear?  Many things throughout the stages of our lives are dear to us.  For me?  I cast back to the age when I was eleven years old and wanted a piano so much, so very much. Any piano, even a toy piano with a measly fifteen keys.
   
This thought now leaps from Henry V to piano to Mythbusters, a program for nerds and physicists, like my family. I know, right?  Bear with me here...

A recent episode recently had the three younger ‘Busters address some question sent in by a viewer about:  An exploding piano

I will tell you this.  My heart broke each time they blew up a wonderful piano.  NNNNOOOOOO! I cried each time. 



Each piano, the noble band of treasured and worn pianos, splintered into pieces every single time.  The pianos would never know how dear they once were, how hard they endured through many practices, but they felt the music.  The worn and scarred keys declared their courage.

Henry V and the band of pianos.  Hard to make that leap, but I see it in my mind.    

A huge upright grand piano was moved into our house when I was 13.  It was so heavy that it took six strong farmers.  How I treasured it.

22 comments:

  1. What the heck where they trying to prove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no idea. They love to blow up any sort of items, and the piano was in the queue.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to get a piano here. We have the perfect place for it, and I know the kids would love lessons on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get that piano asap. I know the longing I felt.

      Delete
  3. Music is a treasure, not a myth to bust in an explosion. My mother's piano eventually went to our church; its life span after being pounded on fairly regularly I calculated at eighty years. Not bad for a little spinet. And it went as a "trade in" against a new Sunday School piano, so perhaps it lives in piano heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. believe so. After such devotion a piano like this one deserves some reward. Maybe they will listen to pianist of renown play on them?

      Delete
  4. Ummm so what myth was that about? Pianos can't explode? ummm okay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, and the the "myth" was not stated before hand.

      Delete
  5. Sorry it bothers you to see it explode. I'd probably feel the same if they blew up a Gibson guitar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Gibson? Who would dare to do such a thing? A good one is like gold.

      Delete
  6. Mythbusters do a few experiments/stunts which make me cringe. Environmental vandals quite often. And wasteful. The premise for the show is/was interesting but they have gone past it. A loooong time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they seem to go over the edge. I guess that is to maintain ratings.

      Delete
  7. A little less music in this world. What a waste and how sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope the insides could be recycled or rebuilt.

      Delete
  8. Oh, dear me! What a waste of good pianos. I cannot believe that people would feel good about doing that to pianos.

    Blessings and Bear hugs, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too! Every time a piano was blown to splinters, I cringed. Such beautiful things, destroyed in the name of science. Probably they were old and had all the strings removed, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the oldest I have seen had candle holders on either side---so the pianist could see the music better.

      Delete
  10. That old upright gave you great pleasure! As a consolation, I doubt the pianos on myth busters could be repaired, or that the cost of repairs was more that the value of the pianos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably true, but it still hurt. Each time.

      Delete
  11. I am so happy you finally got your piano and I would not like to see one blow up that would be very sad indeed. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have a Lester piano and it is wonderful. It was built in 1951, my birth year. Having so much fun, experimenting with all sorts of music.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!