Monday, July 7, 2014

Roll in ze hay

Another re-post, but edited.  How we loved this show, these actors....


One of the best and probably defining movies of my generation was the brilliant version of “Young Frankenstein” with Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Terri Garr, Madeleine Kahn, and Marty Feldman.  Even now, some almost 40 years later, my husband and I quote phrases that we remember and we chuckle.

“Roll in ze hay”  or  

Franken-shteen!  Not Franken-shtine!”

The one that I remember today is “Oh! Sweet Mystery of Life, at last I’ve Found you!” sung by Madeleine Kahn.  I won't post it, but it is great.


Strangely, anyone of the generation before us know nothing about this gem. Nothing of Silverado, The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...movies we of the 1960s remember and can quote line by line.

But then, we know nothing of Stranger on a Train, Dial M for Murder, 42nd Street, Broadway Melodies....

Perspective is the issue.

8 comments:

  1. Classic film! Do a double feature with Blazing Saddles and you have the perfect movie combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome film indeed. Always enjoyed most of Gene Wilder's films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this movie recently and laughed as much as I did the other ten times or so that I have watched it.

    I do remember seeing the original Dial M for Murder when I was a girl. It was scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still tempted to say "Frau Blucher" and listen for the neighing of frightened horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Susan,

    What a surreal film. Consider my perspective and Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar's pawspective loves the surreal, this was pawfect, sorry perfect.

    Have a peaceful day, Susan.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and grown boys LOVE this movie. My father-in-law does too, come to think of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this and although it was a long time ago, I remember I didn't like it. I have also seen Young Einstein and loved it. I remember several of the other movies mentioned and like most of them.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!