Monday, July 28, 2014

Living Life through Generations to generations



Our trip to Switzerland allowed our three grown-up children and their off-spring to be together.  Like proud parents, we stood back and enjoyed their interactions.  They have grown so much, accomplished more than we or they expected, and become successful adults.

Even in our glowing observing, we could not help but notice that WE were also be observed. 


Sitting in the family room (me on the floor) while we played cars and trucks with our grand kids, these three (with their spouses) leaned in closely, talking in low voices.  

Occasionally one would glance our way and then turn back to the group.  One would point at us.  One would indicate some body part where we were currently experiencing pain.  

All were serious.  Sympathetic. 


My husband suggested,  “They have great senior facilities here…”

I looked at my husband and him at me.  “You know,” I whispered, “Euthanasia is legal here in Switzerland.”

We looked back at our precious adult children.  They quickly looked away and moved to the kitchen.  

Then we resumed play with grandchildren.  Life is good as grandparents when there are Legos and toys available, and the children who have a glow about them.



18 comments:

  1. hahaha nice way to have a little fun back at them. Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. This was the only family photo with everyone there.

      Delete
  2. I get those same looks from my children. I am trying to pinpoint the moment when the role reversals began.

    That is a great picture of your family. Those are those special moments when the whole family can get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you pinpoint the moment let me know, for I will know my time is coming also.
      We had a magnificent time. the cousins ran and shrieked. Awesome.

      Delete
  3. Funny....good for you. You'll know the right time to take appropriate actions. Don't let your well meaning children push you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My M-i-Law has come to that point at the age 87. It is time.

      We want to down-size, get rid of the things we bought somewhere, but not sure where. Soon, soon.
      I hope this is advice you are also taking.

      Delete
  4. All that caring has made me a bit misty this morning.
    And play is always good - and grandchildren a perfect excuse to indulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope all is well for you today. Playing is the best. for me, it is the childhood that flew by.

      Delete
  5. Glad no one put you under while you were there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were safe. No one would do anything while the gr-kids were with us.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful memories. Years later your grandkids will be talking about this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope! The older gr-daughter is putting together a scrapbook with photos and postcards. The younger is less organized, but has such a visual memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice that they moved off to the kitchen so your play with the little ones wouldn't be further interrupted. Such good manners. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help wondering what was said in there, but you are right. We enjoyed all the books read, the cars rolling around, and the fun.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!