Thursday, February 23, 2017

To hover, or not to hover

The Princess Margaret and the Princess Anne (pictured) are the largest hovercraft in history. They are as long as the wingspan of a jumbo jet, and can each hold more than 400 people and 60 cars
Largest hovercraft built so far
It is a matter of hovering that bothers me. 

Throughout parents’ lives, we watch our babies become children, then children becoming teenager (God help us), and teenagers moving onto different stages of life.  Then they complete a circle, which is repeated for millennia.

I have been and still am a hoverer.  Children, etc., grandchildren, and my husband.  He resents my hovering, but there it is.

As a teacher, one can see hoverers all over the classroom.  I can understand certain issues that need a hoverer.  But there are other issues that prevent a student from being able to grow as a student.  Oh, well.  That was in the past.

How I hovered over him!

See this lilac plant, hopefully growing to be a bush?  I have hovered over him for nine months.  Planted in bad soil.  Desert heat.  Lack of water.  Replanted in good soil.  Cold winter winds. 
And now?  He just might make it.

 
See this geranium?  When we moved here in August, this was dying, with stems drying.  Lots of hovering to bring her from the brink of death.

Now, my adult kids are hovering over me.  I hate it.  But I can understand why they are the hoverers. 


It’s a circle of life thing.

Image result for drones
Lost dog?

14 comments:

  1. I don't see hovering as a bad thing. I'm sure it can go too far, but hovering can be a good thing.
    When we keep our great nephew Jordan, one of us always has an eye on him. He's only nine be when his mother leaves him in our care we are very mindful of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parent hovering is absolutely necessary. Children must have that in order to stay safe. The type of parent hovering were the parents who stayed in the classroom as "Parent volunteer" which led to question the teacher about her plans for the children. These were also the parents who didn't want their students to do grade level work because "it was too hard and it stressed her child".

      That type of hovering was awful. Apologies to all who misread my words.

      Delete
  2. I see nothing wrong with hovering. We do it because we love them, the kids and the plants;)

    Kids hovering would be a bit hard to get used to.
    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point. My plants are almost to the point where they are surviving just fine.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday I hovered over a student. He was not pleased. (This story will be a blog post next week.) I guess it depends on the circumstance, eh? Some need the hovering. Some hovering will stifle growth. The lesson is learning which is which.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is exactly my point, totally. It is not a one size fits most. I have hovered in every class when needed, but stepped back when not.

      Delete
  4. I was never a hoverer, more a distant parent always with an ear open for bloodcurdling screams that thankfully never happened. I was there when needed or wanted, but also left the kids to play and learn by themselves a lot. I was so very determined NOT to be like my always-in-your-face mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I babysat I always hovered or at least kept them in sight, as I was responsible for someone else's kids. My own, would I hover? Beats me, have to have them first lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children should be hovered, sometimes on the spot, or removed enough for them to explore and learn.

      Delete
  6. Hovering indicates caring. Don't knock it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under no circumstance do I knock hovering. Of course, one should hover in the care and development of a child. When a child is learning to ride a bike, you bet an adult is hovering. When a child learns and rides on his own, an adult smiles and watches. Still is caring, but letting the bird fly a bit.

      Delete
  7. I think hovering is a good thing.
    Of course letting go is important too.

    Perhaps it is all about balance, and that balance is not always easy to achieve ... but we do try!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even as a grandma, I still hover a bit over my 40 yr. old daughter. It is definitely background hovering, but I can hover over her daughters sometimes. They all are so precious to me.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!