Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Sagas Still Continue


Drama as it never was. YouTube, 18 seconds

Back in soap opera days, my mother had a sacred hour after mid-day dinner, in which she banned all children from our house, sent us out to do whatever we pleased.  That was when she turned on television, held a cup of coffee, and watched “her” soap operas.

As the World Turns was her favorite with promiscuous Lisa, who was married to Dr. Bob, who had an on-going battle with Dr. John, who maneuvered and manipulated politics in the hospital, often foiled by Dr. Tim…who ultimately died from a blood clot following a broken leg.  She and we all cried that day.

Great sagas like this cannot be matched, until I was grappled and then hooked by Game of Thrones.


Opening theme, 1 min. 41 seconds

Yes, say what you will and I agree.  It is one bloody series, seriously bloody and violent. Betrayal, love and love discarded, torture, massive battles, dark magic, dragons with their dragon Queen, castles with their lords battling for control over the seven kingdoms, and much more exist in this world.

Evil, massive evil plays out here.  Honor and loyalty redeem characters. Oh, I could ramble on, drawing lines (red lines) from one to another.

We have watched the existing six seasons, each with about six ten episodes each.  We have eaten them all up, discussed the characters, etc.  Now we are in a desert. Season seven will not be released until mid-summer.

I guess I will have to find the tome written by George R.R. Martin, who had written Song of Fire and Ice, and then took off from that to create Game of Thrones.

I will do it.  I will read this massive book, just to find out how the Dragon Queen is faring.

Dr. Bob and Dr. John will just have to battle on their own, with Lisa grabbing another lover.


22 comments:

  1. From what I understand, the series is about to surpass the series. (He's a slow writer.) I don't think you'll get ahead. Sorry.

    I rather like the modern serialized story lines on shows nowadays. I got bored with soaps when I was a teen. They'd repeat the same thing over and over and over again. I know why. They wanted to make sure that those who weren't watching closely wouldn't miss anything. But it got tedious at a certain point. I think that's why soaps are all but dying nowadays. Our attentions have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin fans have sworn to hunt him down if he doesn't get the next book out.
      Soaps didn't capture the next generation or two, including me. Programming and its advertisers moved on.
      I still think about Dr. Tim.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the books are now behind.
    I'm hooked on it as well. No HBO, so have to wait until the season ends and then get HBO for one month and binge watch.
    My mom was like that with her favorite soap operas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the opening theme and visuals of G. of T. I never fast forward during all of that. Maybe it is time to re-watch the 6 episodes, and pick it apart.

      Delete
  3. I've never watched the Game of Thrones.....I try to stay away from 'the continuing story' type shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have said the same of me! I'd watch a 3-day mini-series, sure. But one that goes from year to year? I've changed.

      Delete
  4. I have Song of Fire and Ice on my kindle, just haven't got to it yet.
    My mum used to watch Days of Our Lives, for years and years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother did that with her soap operas. Game of thrones is a good one indeed and yeah, he is such a slooooooooooooow writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He apparently sat and discussed the next episodes with the writers/producers, in order that they could continue with the next seasons. He apparently has it all planned out or something.

      Delete
  6. Game of thrones is incredibly popular ...
    However, we have never watched it !!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched two episodes a few years ago, shuddered. I guess I am more mature now.

      Delete
  7. Game of Thrones is on HBO and I don't have that. I only watch murders and deception on PBS as they are less bloody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love English mysteries. "Shetland" takes place in Scotland, and we have some struggles there.

      Delete
  8. Soaps have changed and are more in your face than they ever were before. Its to be expected fast paced soaps laced with violence and humor and kinky er... seem to work wonders on fans with insatiable desires. Lets hear it now, YESSS!!!!! - Apologies that wasn't really me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is more climbing into bed and staying there now.

      Delete
  9. Oh, my God! My mother was a As The World Turn's fanatic, er, fan too!
    I read a couple of the Game of Throne series--wonderful writing--but gave up when grim just became grimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What ever you do, don't watch The Red Wedding.

      Delete
  10. My mother too had her favorite soaps and she watched her favorite (can't recall what it was) until she passed at 85. I used to tease her about watching them and then I got hooked on General Hospital back in the Luke and Laura days. Getting back on the road touring got me unhooked thank goodness.

    One can certainly get caught up in a series. I haven't watched any Game of Thrones, but lately I've been kind of hooked on the new TV show Hunted. Fortunately it's on only once a week and will probably be ending soon.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the problem with Game of Thrones. It's writing is great, casting is awesome, special effects are outstanding. It is addictive.
      My own family was big into Guiding Light.

      Delete
  11. Unfortunately, the TV show is now past the books, so there's no catching up beyond what the show has put out. It's an odd quandary. Does it always come out in summer, or did they do it to give him more time to get the book out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the quandary. Will Season 7 predate the book itself?

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!