Friday, January 3, 2014

Wednesday Words: Colony 307B


Recent floods and the installation of artificial turf had forced Ant Colony 307B to relocate at a far corner of an artichoke field. The ant  army acted as a unit to move every member from the arterial twists and turns of the now drenched network of their former home.

Moving the queen ant with her arsenal of ant larvae and drones had proved to be most interesting.  Trudging through soggy tunnels had revealed an unknown treasure of collected artwork.  Minute paint chips, grains of paprika, and tiny shreds of colored paper lined walls of the queen’s chamber.


The treasure remained behind as the tunnels collapsed.

Just how extensive is an ant colony/hill?  Watch this video (if you have Adobe Flash Player).


Source:All the ants do die in this video.  Many thanks to Delores at Under the Porch Light  for her word prompts every Wednesday.  This week had a buffet of words and a photo prompt w/starter sentence!  Please click on the lovely stream on the right s.idebar to access her site and other contributors

19 comments:

  1. Ooooh...you used the hard words. The video was really interesting. You really have no idea what lies beneath the ground do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those little buggers can sure make quite the home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine trying to find one's way through the twists and turns? (Ants have built in GPS)

      Delete
  3. Great story. I am awed at the ant architecture too, but feel more than a bit sorry for this colony. And convinced that ant art galleries are well within the realms of possibility. Probably concerts and poetry readings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? It is entirely possible. Well, maybe.

      Delete
  4. I love these challenges and keep thinking I want to participate, but am somewhat shy about it since some of you guys are just so fabulously talented. I might just practice a little on the side. As always, great work with the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your writing, Inger, and I believe you could use Delores' words to create. I chose the A words simply because it made me think.

      Delete
  5. I like the description of the treasures lining the ant queen's domain.
    Love your story, but love the aluminium ant nest casting more.
    What a great piece of art that turned out to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ants are a real problem since the import of red ants. they are destroying the indigenous ants. go get yourself some melted aluminum and form incredible art!

      Delete
    2. We only have the tiny black garden ants around these flats, I'm not sure I could find a nest.

      Delete
  6. What a cool story!! As our house seems to currently be situated over two gigantic ants nests, I can't say I'm too sympathetic with their demise ... and sadly, I think that means a WAY more extensive artwork under my home. ARRRRRGGGGHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The assonance in the ant sentences is so clever, Susan. Can I just say that I like the paprika walls myself? Your ants are not only industrious

    ReplyDelete
  8. But share my taste in decorating. Btw , why does my ipad keypad sort of freeze up in midsentence at times? I dont know what I'm hitting but it gives me the options to cut, copy, paste, etc, which i don't want, so i sign out. Hence the interrupted comment here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may need to reboot the modem, and talk to some young kid at a computer place. I had many viruses floating through mine. Also install a better security problem!

      Delete
  9. That's pretty interesting and amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One never knows what happens in an ant hill.

      Delete
  10. Hey Susan, I'm popping in to wish you a happy, peaceful and productive 2014!
    Take care.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!