Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Taproots? What the heck?




Front Cover
Source
Monday’s post was an explanation about taproots.  While this topic does seem a deviation from my normal posts, this topic follows a book I am reading and an interest I have held for some time:  Healing Secrets of the Native Americans by Porter Shimer.

What did Native Americans use to battle illnesses that afflict all mankind?  What about headaches, infected injuries, liver ailments?  Kidney stones? Bad breath?  Cancer?

With a strong understanding of the plants and their medicinal advantages, early man were beyond Old World methods, some of which including bleeding the patient to remove the “evil humours”.

In 1916, my grandmother, Amy Nichols, was studying to become a pharmacist.  While I could not take her huge volumes of her studies, I did receive a book on botany that would prepare her to study the natural healing characteristics of plants. 

RARE! Gray's School and Field Botany - Asa Gray - 1887 - 2nd Ed - Hardcover NICE
Source: $ 15 and it is yours!


The book?  Gray’s school and Field Biology by Asa Gray, published in 1887.

Well, now.  This book is as boring and dry as the pages upon which the information is printed.

It is WHAT was found within the pages of the tome that surprised me. 

That will be posted…later. It has changed my entire view of Amy Nichols and her sister Pearl.



26 comments:

  1. Geez, now we have to wait haha some of the ways they healed may seem odd but I bet they worked, some were just out to lunch though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Some were amazingly accurate.

      Delete
  2. Dear Susan, I read today's posting on taproots and the one you wrote Monday and I'm hooked. I so hope you'll write more about your grandmother and her studies and what you are learning. We so need to "tap" the wisdom of our ancestors.

    I've been away from blogging for about six weeks and during that time I've missed all you've posted. If there are some postings that you'd especially like me to read, please let me know. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to see your name. The upcoming post will focus on the papers that fell out of the book as I fanned the pages.

      At my other site where I write about my family my next post should be next week "Only miles away..."

      Delete
  3. There are lots over very natural products which are healing. We need to know more about them.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something I have always wondered about and now want to pursue.

      Delete
  4. Oooh. Looking forward to the big reveal.
    And I am always tickled by how often scientists/pharmacist suddenly discover that old healing methods WORK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the pressure is on...I hope I don't disappoint!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. What is known and unknown about our ancestors never ceases to amaze.

      Delete
  6. Found within?
    Boy am I curious now.
    I have a mild interest in herbal remedies, but when I have a headache, I go for the panadol, a migraine gets the codeine treatment. I'm a wimp with pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a migrainer myself, I run the gamut of both holistic and traditional meds. Lavender, eucalyptus, and peppermint oils help, but it has come down to pain killers.

      People should think twice about the notes made in the pages of a book, and the notes left behind!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Not so much a cliffhanger, but a discovery and enlightenment.

      Delete
  8. this is a very interesting subject to me---i am always curious about natural healing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is more to be learned about nature than we know.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful topic. We've gotten a bit away from the hiking hobby but when we did, I'd occasionally find myself curious about what plants we'd encounter might have medicinal benefits. Peterson publishes a field guide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I research quite a bit here and there for natural remedies to various ills since I don't like using medications. I'd love to know quite a bit more, and sometimes think growing up in an era where it was a part of life to learn these things would have been interesting. But I never could have grown up in all the times that interest me, or lead all of those lives (or could I?)

    The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natural healing is very interesting. After dealing with some very bad problems caused by prescription meds I am becoming much more interested in natural and alternative medicine.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!