Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Crush of the White Mustang

Source
On the freeway driving through what I now call is the “Valley of the Slumbering Giants”*, my eyes wandered to  gleaming silver BMW, pale green Prius, white Honda--all passing us.

Thundering diesels roared as they pulled their loads up the hills.

John was driving, listening to Rush; he switched back to Roger Hedgecock, and then to music of the 60s.  So my eyes and thoughts were my own.

A big hulking diesel pulled up to my side and I noted that its load was open for all to see.  Its flatbed carried stacks and stacks of crushed cars, strapped to a ‘fare-thee-well’ with red straps.  How many high? I wondered.

I attempted to count the stacks but failed.
                                                                           
From top to bottom, I got lost at six.  The first six were predictable rusty clunkers, more than ready to head to the car cemeteries.

Source

The next few were horribly twisted results of accidents.  Did the people live?  Those made me shiver.

Then, at the very bottom of the first stack, was a white mustang with straight red stripe along the side.  Not a scratch on the sides, not a dent in the fenders—perfect, recently off the showroom floor or new car lot.  But it was now flattened.

Source

White mustang convertible, wow.  How you must have reached speeds, passed mundane cars, and laid down mile after mile…until this happened.

What had happened?  I didn't want to know. 


*I used to call it “the Valley of the Burial Mounds”.


20 comments:

  1. It possibly came from the mid west or east and was a victim of the snow and ice. I feel its pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. Such an unfortunate end to a delightful looking vehicle. At least it is being recycled. I hope.

      Delete
  2. Sad to see old cars, faithful companions, reduced to a twisted pile of metal and plastic, forgotten. I'm afraid I get rather attached to my cars and it's hard to let them go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every thing has a story. Those cars have history with people unknown.

      Delete
  3. Oh, now I want to know what happened to the Mustang. What a terrible end for an awesome car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to see a NEW car that was unredeemable.

      Delete
  4. That is odd for a new car like that to come to its end. Not sure I'd want to know the reason for the outcome either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. convertibles can have such horrible endings, as do their drivers.

      Delete
  5. Could have been a defect or something of the like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it would something simple like that, but somehow I doubt it.

      Delete
  6. The previous lives of all our detritus. The ignominy of going to a ship container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How the mighty have fallen. In this case, how the pride and joy once used by people now end up in a cube on a floating barge.

      Delete
  7. When the cars are already crushed and on trucks, how is it possible to tell if they have been in accidents?
    I get sad when I see accident crushed cars still on the side of the road, with police and ambulance vehicles in attendance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I could see, the cars showed dents and scrapes that could only happen in an accident. But the mustang?

      Delete
  8. Everything is fragile.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the powerful and expensive have a limit.

      Delete
  9. That's the first thought going through my head when I see an accident: Did the people live? God, I sure hope so. Life is but a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we all share this question. I love it when the news shares a huge story about a fire or an accident and then no follow up. It would be nice to know the outcome if the people are alright.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!