Monday, July 29, 2013

Wednesday Words: Last Week

Cocktails of the Deep South: Four cocktails placed on very old bar in the deep South.
Source: rkirbycom
Joe heard the coffee filter through yesterday’s grounds and grimaced.

Gloria.  Life with Gloria had been filled with dancing, martinis, late nights in nightclubs.  Joe had  muscle in the city back then.  People knew his name, gave him respect. 

After Gloria, life went sour. Joe took a slug of the coffee and spewed it on the desk.  Sour and bitter.

Ashtray: No description
Source: vivechugh
When Gloria had sauntered out the door, Joe was squashed like a bug, a mess on the sidewalk with cigarette butts.

Gloria.  If only.  If only Joe could get a break


A knock at the door caused Joe to look up from his coffee and cigarette.  Gloria slinked through the office door.  “Hey, Joe.  ‘Member me?”

P.S.  These words are from last Wednesday; this alternate story occurred to me.  So I gave it another shot.  Thanks, Delores.

15 comments:

  1. I like this one. Sounds like the beginning of a detective story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan,

    Interesting and I wonder how Joe will react. Although, I don't think I'd like to find a "slug" of coffee! :)

    Hope all is well, Susan.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Joe would not notice. Coffee grounds re-used would dissolve a slug.

      Delete
  3. You've got a great film noir building here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Start of a noir story, things may get gory

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beginning of a beautiful friendship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Or maybe a testy friendship which is always on the edge?

      Delete
  6. Joe must be pretty gritty to be drinking that coffee... well, he did spit it out... Maybe Gloria will brew him a fresh pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drinking bad coffee is a sign of losing everything, even the coffee. Maybe Gloria will toss the old stuff out and bring in some fresh grind.

      Delete
  7. Ooh I love this one. Feels like an old noir movie. Hope you will continue it, I want to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat, Squid, Julie: I fell in love with the noir films back when we had only a b/w TV. I love how the eyes conveyed so much, the styles, the P.I. who had lost so much...I hope Gloria has a desperate situation that will pull Joe back to her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. I hope Joe gets over his heartbreak and sends Gloria on her way.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!