Friday, July 5, 2013

Last Year...The 2012 Olympics

Did you see this? I didn't. Source

Last year I missed the London 2012 Olympics.  All of it, if you don't count the BBC commentators giving their summary of the day's events.

My sweet grandson Benjamin was 6 weeks old then (Have I ever mentioned him?) and I was in Switzerland for almost three weeks during the Olympic time.  The balance of the day was spent with the new parents and their new baby.

But, when twilight came, I took the #10 bus back to an apartment my daughter had arranged for me.  (Why didn't you just stay there?  At their house?)  Their own apartment was the size of a kitchen drawer and I might have had to throw up a tent on their tiny balcony.

When I finally settled down for some Swiss-German TV, the choices were limited and so was my understanding.  It wasn't until I returned to my own home, after the flame had been extinguished and the flags carried out of the stadium.

This video with Mr. Bean/Rowan Atkinson was all I needed to see anyway.




15 comments:

  1. My friend in Atlanta was angry that American tv did not bother to pick up the opening ceremony. It was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My s-in-law recorded it on DVD in Switzerland, and we watched it on his TV. It was excellent! There was No word of it when I returned to US.

      Delete
  2. Wow that kitchen drawer must have been crowded lol never bother with them anyway at my bay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, perhaps I exaggerated a bit. I would watch out for the kitchen drawers. They are always planning something.

      Delete
  3. All the British bloggers were so excited about old Blighty's production that I found and watched many YouTube postings--several times each. They were grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only way to see the opening ceremonies and Mr. Bean's performance.

      Delete
  4. Too bad, I couldn't see the video, it says it is blocked due to copyright issues. I thought I saw the opening ceremony of the Games, so I'm sorry I don't quite understand some of the above comments.

    Anyhow, and more importantly, how great it must have been to be there for Benjamin's first weeks in this world. I remember those small apartments in Europe, so great that you had your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was fun! When I see photos of Benjamin with me, I realize he was sooo tiny then, and I appeared as a giant.

      Delete
    2. I found another version of the video. I hope it works!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation, I went to the web site and found four different items. Could you please let me know the name. I won't get it now, but in case this procedure doesn't work, I would love to try it. Regardless, I really like that store and will explore it some more. Isn't Sedona lovely? I was there so many years ago now, but I still remember the beauty of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fortunately our Olympic coverage always includes the opening ceremony. Which are often in my non sporting mind the best bits. No competition. No cheating...
    And isn't it lovely that you got the best of both - Benjamin AND Olympic replays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too missed this, though we had excellent coverage here in Canada. So much fun to see.
    And I think you had the better time with your new little grandson. There's absolutely nothing that can top that. Except, maybe another grandchild . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,

    "Mr. Bean" was probably one of the highlights of the opening ceremonies. I rather enjoyed the Universal healthcare part in the show. To think that over here, we get a nurse to dance at the end of our hospital bed.

    Have a lovely weekend, Susan.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you didn't get to see any of it. The opening with the Queen jumping out of the helicopter was rather cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah well, the Olympics happens every couple years; your grandbaby only gets born once.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!