Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Valley of the Slumbering Chiefs

An area of high pressure results in downward movement in the atmosphere. This dries the air out, and is why we don't usually have clouds or active weather under high pressure.
This is why it is so stinking hot.
This is one trigger for migraines, a big trigger.
Summer with all its misery has arrived in surrounds of Southern California.  Every year its revival is analyzed and dissected to discover the increased temperatures.

High pressure effects
Every year I complain to you all, to the point of showing photos of CostCo and its pre-Christmas products in August.

Global climate change is one of the factors.  Fourth year of drought is naturally part of that.  Now, the approaching El Niño, promised to arrive pretty soon, will bring some relief, UNLESS it tires out over Mexico.

Driving up to visit our grandchildren or to work takes us through an Ice Age-formed mounds of sand stone, surrounded with desert greenery and avocado trees.


Rather than complain about the obscenely roasting temperatures we are enduring, here are photos (poor ones taken from a moving car) of the Valley of the Slumbering Chiefs.  (I named it such, all by myself.)

Our greenery

"Our" hill; we claim ownership.

We really like our hill.

Here it is again, with view of "farm" land.

The ridges overlooking the valley.


The resolution is lousy...photos taken from cell phone...out the side window...going 75 mph...trying to make the snap before the next car went by...

Plus the temperatures were 100 deg. in San Marcos, 107 in Temecula, and 117 deg. in Palm Springs (where gr-daughters were competing in an Irish Dance Feis.).  But, I'm not complaining.  Oh, no. Not me.

20 comments:

  1. I would definitely be complaining. Have a friend in Arizona who loves these hot, hot temps. I couldn't stand them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arizona has such high temps in the summer that walking from the parking lot to the mall requires golf-cart like safety trollies.

      Delete
  2. I'd far rather have the dry heat of SoCal than the humidity and heat of the Midwest; I've tried both. Bless the girls, I hope they (and you) were inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in the humidity and prefer the dry heat here, as well. I have promised myself I would not complain about summer this year...

      Delete
  3. Wow, 117 degrees? That is awful. Shots turned out great, specially for going 75mph while taking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised about the shots--expected blur.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping El Nino settles over Southern California this year. Texas was in a terrible drought just a short time ago, and the rain the last couple of years is helping them out a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may watch "Singin' the Rain", just to help me remember what rain is like.
      El Nino would be a wonderful thing!

      Delete
  5. Add me to the list of complainers. I loathe the sweaty season. I do hope that El Nino doesn't tire out, and gives you relief. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite your 120 degree oven temps, I still would be tempted to climb that well named mountain. I'm sure you would find my bones next summer but man, that is so beautiful. I might risk it.

    If I could bottle and sell my sweat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The avocados planted along the sides have a drip-watering system; you and I could probably cut into those lines to fill up canteens.
      I love that mountain!

      Delete
  7. It scares me to think the rain may stay in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. The weather here is down in the high 80s, so maybe the rain is on its way?

      Delete
  8. Gee, that scenery looks familiar... Temecula and Palm Springs. Yikes. No wonder you're miserable. I've been miserable while in a town that ends with the word "Beach", but that's nothing compared to the temps out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! You must be a former sufferer from the desert wasteland, once called "the best place to live".

      Delete
  9. Valley of the Slumbering Chiefs: I really like that name. I like your hill too.
    Sorry to hear you're in a drought though, that's never fun. Summer always seems more bearable when you know there is rain on the way. When you can't see any relief coming, that's when irritability abounds and tempers flare. I hope you get a rain-break soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do as well. We're in the middle of the wildfire season, and rain would save so much.

      Delete
  10. What bothers me less than the heat in August is the retail giants trying to force us into Christmas shopping when we're just wanting to enjoy what's left of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few pick up the glittery stuff. But it does give us hope that in a few months, Christmas will be here and life will cool down.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!