Friday, December 19, 2014

Is it time yet?


Is it time yet?  Sis, is it time yet?” My brother Robert whispered in the dark.

Opening heavy eyes and peering at the glow-in-the-dark Big Ben alarm clock, I muttered, “No!  It is not time!”  Then my eyes closed and I went back to sleep.


Vintage Christmas Tree...I love the little girl's head popping around the corner.
Source: pinterest
“Is it time yet?  Sis, is it time?”

NO!  You asked me that an hour ago!”  As I wondered off to sleep, crunching of Doritos and Cheetos purchased to keep my brothers awake echoed into my room, along with the scents.

Time yet?...NO!  Leave me alone!...Time yet?...NO!...Time yet?...NO!  NO!  NO!...

At 5 a.m., Bill sneaked down old squeaky stairs.  “Mom?  Mom?  Can we get up yet?”  There were mumbles as Bill hollered up the stairs.  “It’s time!  Robert!  It’s time!”

Robert’s feet hit the floor with a resounding thud and he raced down steps. Reluctantly I dragged myself and pulled on a robe.  Our parents were groaning as Mom poured cups of strong coffee.

Christmas lights had been switched on and the two began ravaging their presents.  Rubbing my eyes, I blinked at Robert’s joy as his presents appeared.



Although Robert was  almost nineteen years old that Christmas, I was 18, and Bill was fourteen, thrills of Christmas never ever know age boundaries.

P.S.  Both Robert and Bill are gone now, but our family can never forget their joy at Christmas.
Christmas is a cause for celebration.  I am a Christian who accepted Christ and the forgiveness He gives.  Joy to the world!!

14 comments:

  1. Yep, we always got up early to. Not sure I was that enthusiastic at 19 though haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they ever grew out of the excitement, but I remember it happily.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post, remembering your brothers. This time of year, I too have fond memories of my brother who has been gone for over 30 years. Have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all may have a sibling who fit my brothers' question! A Merry Christmas to you as well.

      Delete
  3. Same here...always up early and awake most of the night. Merry Christmas Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same now! My grand-daughters are waiting to spring into action as soon as their eyes open (if they ever closed at all). Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  4. My four year old sister wandered downstairs to my brothers' bedroom. They told her to go back to bed, it was 3 am. In the morning the family found her sound asleep in dad's chair, sitting next to a Chatty Cathy as big as she was. Cathy was a total surprise when she woke up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a precious story that begs to be written!

      Delete
  5. You have triggered a LOT of memories here. Mixed memories - with magic attached. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is a magical morning. At least in my memories it was. With gr-kids it still is. Merry Christmas, Sue!

      Delete
  6. As EC said, memories came back as I read your post. Sweet, sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Day for a child was sweet. Closing my eyes, the images pop up.

      Delete
  7. Lovely memories of times past. Is it time yet? must be as universal as Are we there yet? I remember lying in bed in the dark listening to the kids as they opened their stockings by torchlight. We always filled the stockings and hung them on the ends of their beds so we could get a bit of a sleep-in Christmas mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that as well. It allowed us about 30 minutes of bed time.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!