Monday, December 8, 2014

Cedar Tree, oh Cedar Tree

Oh, our cedar tree

Christmastree..Christmastree….when will we cut down our Christmas tree?  That question hung in the air until Mom nudged Dad enough to take care of that yearly tradition.

Finally, we climbed up into the bed of the 1946 Ford truck and huddled together in frozen air on frozen metal, and smiled at the very thought of the tree.  THE Tree that would be ours, stood on a white hill watching and waiting for us.  Our Tree we exhaled through icy fogged air.

Powdery, fresh snow stays in my mind even now: stepping and then sinking up to our knees, laughing.  Eagerness kept us warm as we raced ahead of Dad, who strode easily with the ax on his shoulder.  This one?...How about this one?...No!  Look, there is one!

Somehow the perfect tree was always found and Dad cut it down.  Hoisting it up on his shoulder, we carried the starry top, never knowing just how heavy the tree truly was.


Scent of cedar filled the bed of the truck where the tree barely fit, with us tucked around and through it.  We inhaled it cedar air down to our home, laughing all the way.  

23 comments:

  1. I don't think we ever got to go cut our own. We just went to a tree lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cut down the tree until we were in college, I think. After that, I don't remember the tradition.

      Delete
  2. Lovely story. We did the tree cutting thing a couple of times...usually a spruce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cedar was Dad's favorite. We may have had some firs, but bot that I can remember.

      Delete
  3. So many wonderful memories, and now we have an artificial one, I really should put my foot down and buy a real one next year, regardless... !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have purchased wreathes in the past from our neice and her H.S. clubs. It hung on the door, roasting in California sun.

      Delete
  4. We always went to a tree lot, but had plenty of trees in the backyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of trees? No fir tree willing to sacrifice itself for the Hatt Christmas?

      Delete
  5. I never had this experience. Well, not really. In the tropics we had inkberries trees and century plant blossoms to go cut down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they were beautiful! Early settlers here used manzanita bushes or some sort of cactus.

      Delete
  6. The tree always signals the start of the season for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has moved some furniture around, so we will put up our tree very soon.

      Delete
  7. There is a cedar tree on the way into my physical therapy building. I stop and smell it twice a week. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We cut our trees too. And that scent... oh the scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all so hard to describe the scent of trees...words never seem adequate.

      Delete
    2. I know the cedar scent, i have cedarwood 'mothballs' in my drawers, when the scent fades I just give them a light sanding to bring it back. Keeps the moths away nicely.

      Delete
  9. We mostly do plastic trees here in Aus, at least, everyone I know has a plastic tree. I remember Decembers past when "trees" were available from supermarket parking lots and people would buy them to have a real tree, but they weren't trees at all, simply branches cut from a real tree and sold, then every January there would be those same branches dead and dry, left out on the footpath for rubbish collection, sometimes even with tinsel still attached.
    This is why I prefer a plastic tree, some of them look close enough to real, and they can be packed away to use again and again.
    It's different in your snowy country though, a tree has a better chance of surviving the whole holiday season and I imagine the smell would be heavenly enough to offset the falling leaves. But what do you do with it after?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In previous years, I went to Christmas tree lots where the trimmings were in a trash bin. I grabbed a few and made some sort of wreath. I am sure it could have looked better.

      Delete
  10. The whole house smells good when a new tree comes in. I love that smell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does fill the house with fir tree goodness.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!