Monday, March 28, 2016

C is for Change, 4/3/12, re-posted on 3/26/16


Let's see...spring forward...fall back...dammit.


Change. 
The day this was written was the “time change day”, the spring forward an hour.  Everyone and their brothers hate this one.  The fall back day is fine with most people, but it takes weeks to adjust to this new hour forward change.

Most people aren’t happy with change in any form.  As a people, we like our schedules and routines:  Coffee at a certain time;  Leaving work at the right time;  Eating our comfort foods. 
Pretty straight forward

We are creatures of habit, and change is an irritant, a grain of sand in a place that can’t be reached.


Years ago at a school where I taught, a new math curriculum was introduced.  “Changing to conceptual understanding will help students…”

A fellow teacher stated (about the integration of that fancy new math curriculum), “Change is good!”  Trying to be positive, I guess.
I'm with 'ya, kid.

After two years of using an expensive, cutting-edge curriculum, students couldn’t add or subtract.  Another program quietly took its place.

Change is sometimes painful.  And expensive.

Okay...I see where you're going with this....not sure I want to...
My mother died one year ago today.  Yes, April 3rd, 2011.  I had received a photo of Mom on Valentine’s Day when she was voted “Queen of Valentine’s Day” at her care facility.  She glowed with joy and pleasure, and she was beautiful. 

Then, six weeks later, I stood by her bedside, holding her hand.  The woman in the bed was my mother, but she wasn’t.  Pneumonia combined with COPD had melted her down to a pale faded leaf, ready to be blown away.  When Mom took her final breaths, change happened.


Her generation is leaving the stage, and now my generation has moved up to take its place.  The whole damn queue is moving up with us, waiting in the wings for their turn.


No, change is inevitable.

How about you?  Are you one who thrives with change?  Or one who fights, kicking and screaming, when change happens?

At the time of this posting, I knew NOTHING about copyright and crediting photos to providers.  NOTHING.  So, I hope and pray that I have offended no one.  I know a lot more now.


Also, this was a post for April 3, 2012:  C is for Change during the A to Z Challenge. April 1st is only a few days away, with some awesome talented bloggers meeting other awesome talented bloggers.  This is the first time I haven't participated in five years.  Lots of family events going on, so I'll stop by at my beloved bloggers to see what they are thinking!

23 comments:

  1. I used to embrace change, now, not so much. I do, though, love daylight saving time. I love anything that brings more light into my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having more sun is very good. I love that. My parents both loved it and hated it. Good for planting corn with light, but harvesting corn, Dad worked hard with time change.

      Delete
    2. But it isn't more light, more sun. No matter what the clocks say, the sun is up for the same number of hours each day.

      Delete
  2. Change can be expensive and stupid. But sometimes it works out. Most times though you have to force down the throat of the masses if you want to make big change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are dragged kicking and screaming to accept the inevitable.

      Delete
  3. Depends on the change. I dislike the time change, keep it one way or the other. Other changes are good and inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does depend on what is changed, I guess. Math thing listed about was over one million dollars change.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you had to see your mother fade like that.
    I'm a creature of habit, so change isn't always easy.
    I remember when I was in grade school, they introduced both the metric system and a new way to do long division. Neither lasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those years. Learning certain concepts take place at certain years in a child's lives. Your group missed out on basics.

      Delete
  5. Change is not something I adapt to easily. Habits and routine give my life some structure. Which I lean against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, and I believe for most people.

      Delete
  6. Change is hard. Ultimately good most of the time, but hard. Sorry you're not in A to Z this year, but some years just don't work out. I hope your family stuff goes easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my MIL's death nearly two months ago, life has been jumbled. We all miss her so much, and as this continues it feels like we haven't had the time to truly mourn her death. Another month, maybe? We don't see an end suddenly appearing. Thank you so much for asking. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  7. I like to have a plan. I'm alright with changing the plan. But I still need the plan. So no, I'm not really one for change for its own sake but I also know enough not to fear change out of hand either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having laid out plans eases the change. before Mom died, we were in the process of finalizing our Living Trust and Will. That in its self has helped us.

      Delete
  8. I can't say I thrive on change, but there's no kicking and screaming either. This River just makes adjustments where necessary and keeps rolling on.
    I do prefer not to have daylight saving at all. Our change day is next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kicking and Screaming was over the top, I realize. But there is a degree of anxiety and angst when change is thrust upon us all. In Arizona there is no time change. When this was forced on the nation, Arizona basically said "Oh, Yeah?"

      Delete
  9. If I'm to be honest I'd have to say I love victories but then who doesn't. We really have to put ourselves out there and talk about our failures as well as successes if we want to grow. My Parents special wisdom somehow always kept me on the right track. Patriarchs and Matriarchs are as a general rule unique and caring people. I'm sorry you've lost your mother, remember the happy times and you'll gain strength from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have those precious memories, and so appreciate them! Mom and my MIL were from a generation who went through changes incredible. We're going through photo albums--at least 6 or 7 boxes over flowing. She organized those photos so well that we can see what they saw. We are gaining strength, after we screamed figuratively at the loss. Having the 5 siblings holding onto each other has been amazing.

      Delete
  10. It depends for me. Mostly I don't mind change at all, I even embrace it. But if it's for BIG things I don't like, then I am not always so keep to jump in head first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see this. The math thing was not well considered. It was created by some physicists, mathematicians, etc., who were thinking abstractly. Their thots were that if students are taught the concepts, then students would naturally slip into all the mechanics of add and subtract.
      It was all a PC event, resulting in millions of dollars loss from every district.
      Most teachers didn't throw away our old math books. We used them on the sly.

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry for the loss of your husband's mom. And now this about your mom and change. I liked change a lot when I was young. Now, I don't mind just being here, enjoying the peace and quiet. If you read my A to Z, you will find how I have coped with the major change of losing my husband. It's a very strange change and hard to process, but life has a way of moving you forward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this comment! Change has been so hard this year. I look forward to reading your A to Z posts.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!