Friday, November 8, 2013

Wednesday Words: Natalia


Source: Wikipedia...White House tree
As Papa carved a wooden doll, he muttered, “She will be as stiff as last year’s Christmas tree…”

Mama laughed.  “That is because this trunk is from last year’s tree!  From the church!” 

It had been a huge tree, nearly twenty feet tall.  The trunk revealed itself to be large and well-formed.  Papa could see a doll in the wood for his precious daughter, Natalia.

Mama fashioned a gown from Papa’s crimson flannel shirt, now mottled with time.  She had spent weeks spinning and weaving a blanket with a border of lines resembling railroad tracks.   This would cover a little girl, holding her new doll.

Antique Schoenhut 15
Source: on ebay...interesting site!
To some people, such a small gift would appear to be insignificant.  To a little girl named Natalia, it would mean everything.

18 comments:

  1. I loved your take on the words. Absolutely lovely.

    I put my Christmas Tree up Sunday lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will wait until after Thanksgiving. My gr-daughters will help put everything up.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely little story....so much love going into a gift for a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to tell me off her own mother sewing and making dolls.

      Delete
  3. Something little can mean a lot to someone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One special gift is worth more than a tree's bounty.

      Delete
  4. The best and most meaningful things I have been given in life were handmade by my mom.

    Lovely story, Susan, and one that brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of my mom when I wrote this. Maybe a bit mushy for some, but the words led me to that point.

      Delete
  5. My most treasured possession is a Santa that my grandfather made in the early years of the 20th century. This story is not mushy, at least not to me. It rings very true, maybe because I remember my grandparents creating beautiful things with their hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For readers who did not have those precious hand-made gifts and not understand the importance of such, this may seem "mushy". I wish everyone could have that experience that I had.

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful. And the hand-made things are the ones that get cherished - long after the batteries have died and the plastic cracked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own children have told me that, since when I was a young mother, I made many hand-made gifts (usually involving sewing and art).

      Delete
  7. All it takes it a gift from the heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gift from the heart made by loving hands.

      Delete
  8. This is a very moving story and reminds me of the year I got a doll for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year I rec'd a Betsy Wetsy doll, complete with hand-made dresses from my grandmother.

      Delete
  9. Hand made gifts are always the best. How meaningful when someone takes precious time to make you something.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!