Friday, November 29, 2013

Alma

old chair dumped in a field (not a picture of the chair in question)
Source
I cannot do this today.  That was the single thought that roamed through Alma’s mind.  Not today.

Her frequent falls had led her to this moment of distress, with her ankle wrapped and restrained, up on a cassock.  Alma had not told anyone of her ‘spells’ where her vision filled with sparkling dots and lines, then turning to black.  Where she opened her eyes to discover she was lying on the floor.

“What mischief have we been up to lately?” the visiting home nurse had asked Alma, after checking all the vitals and settling her into her comfortable chair.  “Oh, we see your niece has brought us donuts again.  We cannot have that, can we, not with your sugar levels…”

The donuts went out the door, along with the nurse, who promised to return in two hours.  “We’ll be here soon.  Doctor will want to see that  ankle. We wouldn't want to do anything to make it worse, would we?”

I don’t want this today. Alma gazed out the window at the nurse as she drove away.  I don’t want them to find out… 

Snow began to float outside, while the sparkling dots and lines again filled her vision.

P.S.  A dark turn, I know. Migraines do that to me.  Anyways....
Many thanks to Delores at Under the Porch Light  for providing six intriguing words for participants to enjoy and write.  Please go to her site!  where a list of bloggers are in the right site bar.  You will not regret it!!

24 comments:

  1. Poor Alma. What a sad turn of events. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took some pain and nausea pills. I will eat some pumpkin pie. That should do the trick.

      Delete
    2. Don't forget the whipped cream...that's what REALLY helps.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Wonderfully written, you're inspiring me to try a different way of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck to the migraines, hope all gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! you've got me intrigued now for sure. I'll be back to find out what happens to Alma.Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those migraines proved very creative---feel better :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Alma - and poor you. Migraines are such a blight. And it sounds as if you too get the pain escalating until you are sick variety. I hope it leaves you (completely) v soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Susan,

    Kudos to you for attempting this. Despite the pain of those awful migraines, you have written a very thoughtful piece.

    Wishing you a better weekend.

    In kindness,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch. I can't imagine a migraine. My wife had them at one time but not in many years.
    You'd left a kind comment on my blog about the photos. I wanted to let you know that I use a Photoshop oil painting filter to get the effect you asked about. I love that filter.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To all: I am feeling better. It is a matter of giving in to the fact that I have to go into a dark room for most of a day, practice relaxation technique, etc. It is an on-going problem,one that can't be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You wrote a very touching story with the Wednesday Words. This hits very close to home for many of us. It must be horrible living with chronic migraines. Take care of yourself, and I hope these techniques continue to help.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sparkling dots and lines, then unconsciousness? Sounds like Alma may have a little more going on than migraines. My mum used to be found passed out and would wake up in hospital, this happened several times before she was diagnosed with diabetes and told to cut out all the fats and sugars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why the nurse took away the donuts--and it led to other health problems--a stroke.

      Delete
  12. PS, really good story and I hope you don't get too many of these migraines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is a loaded story in just a few words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One has to choose the words carefully, which is what provides the thrill of writing.

      Delete
  14. Powerful. Engaging. Down-right sad.

    Blessing and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways, this was based on my mother and her old friends--end of life, desire to stay at home...

      Delete
  15. Awwwww I hope she gets to keep her doughnuts next time! I found this most poignant. Thank you for sharing! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Her donuts are gone, out the door.

      Delete
  16. Strong and beautiful.
    You do play with the words amazingly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Words provide such possibilities.

      Delete
  17. The writing's good. And boo to Migraines that are so debilitating, I hate them.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!