Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nana Moves In

Source


A dull day, that is what this is,dull gray.  Samuel thought as he looked up from a coloring project to The Mother.  She was making a cake for Nana, who was moving in with them. 

Grammy had moved in with Aunt Tammy Whammy when she decided she was ‘out of her depth’ with Samuel.  Out of her depth?  Samuel smiled at the words.  The old lady was drowning in the deep-end.  He continued working on a “Welcome, Nana!” sign.  The mother had written the words, although Samuel believed he could have conveyed the message better with his fiery bombs and flaming people.  Oh, well, whatever.

The mother had just poured the batter into the 8 ½ x 11 pan when the doorbell rang.  Jehovah Witnesses or young Mormon men?  She would prefer the young Mormons.  When she didn’t return right away, Samuel nodded.  The men.  Well, then. 

Samuel climbed down from his chair and ran to the opposite side of the table to peer into the cake better.  Oh, Fun-Fetti.  This is perfect. 


Thinking on the fly was one of his many gifts.  Scooping up some bits of broken crayons, Samuel carefully placed and pushed them into the cake.  Maybe a few more on this side?  After effectively burying the crayon shreds, Samuel returned to the sign, innocent by all accounts.

The Mother returned to the table, smiling and blushing.  Nothing like religion to make one happy.  She placed the cake into the preheated oven, and cleaned up the kitchen, humming happily.  Every now and then, she gave Samuel a nervous smile.

Samuel returned her smile.  “You okay there, Buddy?  Wanta play a video game?”  Okay?  I am juuuust fine. 

The timer rang and The Mother carefully removed the cake from the oven and placed it on the high counter.  Leaving the oven door open just enough to let the oven cool, The Mother ran to the bathroom.  The bathroom door closed.

Oh, woman.  Do you even think about the possibilities?  Samuel peered at the partially open door, and silently lowered it down.  Still hot, but not dangerous.  Grabbing some broken crayons, Samuel tossed them onto the oven shelves and bottom.  Oh, how lovely.  Samuel watched at the colored pieces spread out and pool in rainbow glory.  Silently Samuel closed the oven door, knowing The Mother would never notice.

The Mother returned.  “Nap time, young man.  For you and me both.” 

Samuel acquiesced, holding her hand lovingly.  The Mother was confused, but accepted this new step in Samuel’s life:  possible obedience.

In his room, Samuel listened for new sounds.  When the front door slammed and happy voices sounded, he knew Nana had arrived.  He listened as Nana spoke about the big roast she had ready to cook.  The oven will be heated up next.  He felt a tickle of anticipation.

Source

The smell of scorched crayon filled the house.  Oh, glory!

“SAMUEL!”  A dull gray day transformed into one of joyful color. 


Source

30 comments:

  1. I am not playing in the blogosphere at the moment but am oh so glad I stole some time to do so this morning. If I have an inner child, I do hope that it is Samuel. (I also hope I have an effective inner nanny.)
    Thank you for loud smiles to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing this stirred up a sweet tooth longing for a cupcake. And, I am betting that your inner child is most definitely a version of Samuel.

      Delete
  2. Susan....I have this chilling feeling that Samuel is a reflection of your own childhood. Your poor Momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the most obedient child. My three brothers provided me with all sorts of action and ideas. Since I ran the slowest, I was most quickly caught.

      Delete
  3. I'm on the same track as Delores. Your brain is just too active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am finally living out my childhood.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful, insightful as ever, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having spent more than 4 decades in the company of children has given me the insight. Children have vivid imaginations.

      Delete
  5. haha well he's using his imagination, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he makes it to adulthood as a well-adjusted human, Samuel will make a fortune.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I agree with Delores; if your imagination at this age is any indication of what you schemed up and carried out as a child, your poor Momma! Love the "oh, No!!!!!" I heard come out my mouth while reading .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. There are so many ideas and words that get edited before they can be carried out. Having Samuel has opened that locked door.

      Delete
  7. Samuel is a force to be reckoned with---creative little genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samuel certainly is brilliant. Wonder what he will do with all that creativity??

      Delete
  8. Yikes! Samuel needs constant supervision or he is apt to do terrible, but colorful, damage.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana is his nemesis, but also his equal. The battle will rage.

      Delete
  9. There's a possibility that a creative genius is hidden somewhere in there... waiting to reach full potential... or am I delusional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is there and will reach fruition, someday.

      Delete
  10. i absolutely loved this--i could smell it see it and feel it and imagine it as a tv show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just sad that no one got to eat the cake. Well, at least it wasn't chocolate! Cute story Susan! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing the story made me soooo hungry for cake. Didn't get any, but would have devoured the pastry had it been available!

      Delete
  12. Oh my and for some reason the thought of burnt crayon reminds me of my ex-wife's attempt at cooking. Or maybe she was trying to tell me something...

    Samuel and Susan, colourful imaginations, me thinks :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scorched crayon smell is distinctive...she was that bad as a cook? Man. Good thing she is an ex.

      Delete
  13. Ah, the smell of scorched crayons. If I had a nickel..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was hilarious. You crawled right in that boy's mind. I remember those days myself.

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arlee. I'd like to know about your adventures...were you a "Samuel" yourself?

      Delete
  15. Susan, don't know if I replied before about the book, undertake most of my blogging at midnight and not always a good idea! I'm hoping to have the book out some time in the autumn, and at the same time have a children's sequel published in the spring.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!