Friday, January 18, 2013

Will I Dream?



Will I dream?

That line is from 2010: A Space Odyssey” where Dr. Chandra is shutting down SAL, in an effort to see if he can reactivate HAL 9000 (2001).  SAL allows this process, only after asking that question.


At that time of the early 1970s, computers were bulky machinery that filled a gymnasium.  Today’s computer seemed unfathomable and certainly something unattainable.

But here it sits, on my desk in front of me.  It does not have independent, self-created-thought as far as I know.  But it sure has strong will, destructive will, as I discovered back in mid-December.

Have you ever seen that dreaded black screen with squared white letters telling you that your computer has inexplicably shut down?  Over and Over?  If you have, then you are nodding your head at this very minute.  That happened to me on December 20, 2012.


My computer has been in the shop, and then returned to me clean and humble.  Will it last?  I don’t know.  But I wonder, as it sat on the work table with other broken computers, did it dream?

If it did, it had nightmares, terrible destructive nightmares.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. One wonders...are they like the Sock Drawer?

      Delete
  2. They can sure be a pain when they don't work, maybe they want to go and dream or just get a break from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly, or maybe they are reminding us of who is in charge.

      Delete
  3. Susan, the dreaded shutdown happened me to so often that I finally wised up and bought a Mac. That was back in 2008. I love my Mac!

    I also love the photos of your cat. They're very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do exactly that the next time this happens.

      Delete
  4. To sleep, perchance to dream. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had to start shutting down the computer more and more often because it will randomly freeze up--what an interesting thought, that computers might dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I revisited Space Odyssey maybe a decade ago. I first saw it in Connecticut with my first (the gay) husband, and I only remembered how spooky it was. Second time around I was kind of bored. Maybe I'll try it again... Fortunately, I've never had computer nightmares, though I have had a few grow old and die. I rarely have trouble though. I'm careful not to open suspicious mail. Nor do I do much downloading. So far... (fingers crossed)....

    Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I'm sure you miss your 6 month old grandson. That's an adorable age. My youngest grandchild of 8 is now 6 months. Chubby little boy that I fortunately get to see at least once a month. Yes, Christmas was fun. Now it's back to the world...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those first big computers....and the thought of a computer in every house was a crazy thought...and now it's a computer for every person in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry that your computer went into a deep sleep. I hope it dreamt about ways to make your life easier by never letting this happen again. Hopefully, it knew not to mess around with your sock drawer. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,

    That sounds very much like the "blue screen of death", where you computer starts spouting out all sorts of hieroglyphics and mine, in the past, said it needed to shut down and fast! Part of the problem, evidently is because we have too much crap stored on them. Another reason is those sneaky little critters that try to mess up our computers. Here's hoping your computer is now okay.

    In kindness, Penny the Jack Russell dog and the next 'Paw Minister' of Britain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always viewed computers as tools to help connect us to the rest of the world. I have yet to see one of those monstrously large computers.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was almost too real. nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!